Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lagering question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
BPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default lagering question

I think I might have ruined/changed a good lager. After pitching the yeast at room temp I placed my carboy down in my basement in a far corner to cool it down for a day or so while the yeast became active then continue cooling down for the primary fermentation in a lagering box I built. work became a problem and my basement was not as cool as I thought and the lager fermented at 60 degrees for 4 days before I could get back to it. I am now cooling it down approx 2 degrees a day and it is at 54 now. I am using a wyeast pilsen lager and it is an american amber lager OG 1.042. I know this yeast can ferment higher and might not be a problem but what should I expect and how should I proceed to get the best result posssible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well I'm sure it will be fine, but probably not exactly what you wanted. You were not low enough for a typical lager ferment, but not really high enough for a steam beer though I could be wrong on that account. At this point I'd just continue like you were planning and ferment it at 54 and after primary drop it down to lagering temps. It'll turn out fine.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd suggest doing a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. You should be fine though. Have a long lagering period would be helpful as well. Your beer will forgive your mistakes over time....

Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Kaiser did a wiki page on lagering that will probably be helpful.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
BPD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Well I'm sure it will be fine, but probably not exactly what you wanted. You were not low enough for a typical lager ferment, but not really high enough for a steam beer though I could be wrong on that account. At this point I'd just continue like you were planning and ferment it at 54 and after primary drop it down to lagering temps. It'll turn out fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.berta View Post
I'd suggest doing a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. You should be fine though. Have a long lagering period would be helpful as well. Your beer will forgive your mistakes over time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Kaiser did a wiki page on lagering that will probably be helpful.
for the rest of the primary fermentation can get it down to about 50 then will do the diacetyl rest and lager the secondary as planed. thanks for the replies. the wiki was very informative, thanks. The longer lager period is no problem because at the same time I did an English Mild to hold me over and I do plan on doing the lager again in April/May. Again thanks

Quick Reply