Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lager yeast help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
lnmnmarty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default lager yeast help!!!

hello, I posed this question in the introduction forum and got no response. So lets try again. In a nutshell my first attempt at brewing was a Munich Lager DME w/specialty grains,hops ,irish moss,and dry lager yeast. Boiled full 5 gallons, chilled to 75,poured into 6 gallon primary bucket, pitched yeast. This is where I went wrong. My instructions said to ferment at about 75 and that ideal fermentation should be at 45-55. I now understand that it should have been 75 until fermentation starts and then gradually cool to 45-55 for the duration. The weather was freezing at night so I used a warming pad designed this purpose. I left at probably 75 for 4-5 days and then the bubbling stopped completely.Then it was transferred to glass carboy. What kind of off flavors if any will I have from this warm/quick fermentation. Wiil extra aging/Lagering cure this. Please help. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnmnmarty
What kind of off flavors if any will I have from this warm/quick fermentation. Wiil extra aging/Lagering cure this. Please help. Thanks
You'll probably have a lot of esters and diacetyl. The latter may have been reduced already. Give it a taste and see what you have.

Lagering/aging will help a little with the diacetyl and higher alcohols. If you have the space, give it 4 more weeks at a temp below 55F I'd say and see what you get.

And try another lager in the mean time. My first lager was a Dunkelbock that was pretty much undrinkable after primary fermentation (way to many higher alcohols), but turned out decent after a month or so.

Kai

Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'd say give it some time, but warm ferments can produce flavors that will not go away.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
lnmnmarty
Recipes 

What would i be looking for in taste testing for esters and diacetyl?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

You would get a fruity tasting brew with the esters IIRC and a buttery/butterscotch taste for the diacetyl.

When pitching dry yeast to a lager at lager fermenting tempertures, you should increase your pitching rate. This will let you get normal lag times for your cold wort.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
lnmnmarty
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts

you should also look for higher alcohols. They give the beer a sharp taste that may remind you of hard liquor or nail polish remover.

Kai

Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I normally don't stoop to these levels but what was your hydro reading *GASP*

The reason i ask, on my lager that i just transfered i decided to take a reading even though i had a lovely yeast cake on the bottom and it turns out that was a good idea. My OG on my czech pils was 1.045 and after 2 weeks and what i thought was a good ferment i was only at 1.032.

I did get lazy with the smack pack and even though it was not all the way blown up i pitched anyway (dumb ass move, but it was 2:00 in the morn)

So, as it sits in the secondary i have bumped the temp up to 60 and will wait to see what happens after 48 hours.

Reverend

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

A smack pack by itself is going to be vastly underpitching a 5g lager...most lager-heads are pitching 3-4L worth of starter yeast.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
A smack pack by itself is going to be vastly underpitching a 5g lager...most lager-heads are pitching 3-4L worth of starter yeast.
So, when you make these starters, are you fermenting at lager yeast temperatures? So far, I have made two lagers. I did both by just sprinkling Saflager -23 on top of the wort. In both cases, fermentation took a while to start, but it seemed to work well once it did.

Needless to say, I will do a starter for my next lager. Should I make a starter in the same manner as I once did, or should I ferment my starter at recommended temps. I figure that I could ferment warm and then pour off the beer from the starter as it will have some off-flavors. But . . . will the yeast be healthy at that point?

Quick Reply