Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager And Temperature Swing To Room Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lager And Temperature Swing To Room Temp

Woke up to find an ale about to blow it's airlock this morning while at 68°F so I needed to get it a little cooler. My only option was to remove an Oktoberfest from the fridge that was two weeks into lagering and replace it with the ale.

Poor planning on my part -- so to control my ale, I had to leave the Oktoberfest at room temp.

Is there any downside to letting the lager sit at room temp for a day or two until the ale dies down?

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
ectoplasmicfunk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If its already two weeks in, it should be fine for a day or two but definitely get it back to lager temp. when you can.

"When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite."
-William Blake

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The oktoberfest should actually benefit from doing this. If your lager has been going for two weeks it was probably time for Diacetyl rest anyways. Your beer will actually benefit from being at room temperature for a while, when fermentation is close to finishing up, to clean up the diacetyl, a byproduct of fermentation that produces a buttery taste and slick mouthfeel. The John Palmer book has a section online you can read, and you can search the forums for more info. I'd recommend it to learn more

Quick Reply