Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager temp control vs room temperature ferment...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lager temp control vs room temperature ferment...

How much difference does it make exactly? I ask because I've made a relatively good "lager" but fermented at room temperature due to a lack of resources, basically. How much difference do you think it makes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Lager yeast performs best at a steady 55*. I usually cold crash down to 48* for two or three months before carbonating. The extended condition time after all is the German word "lager."

At a temp of 60-70 the yeast will still produce beer, but it will also create a lot of fruity esters and not finish as cleanly as style guidelines stipulate. A lager should be crisp and clean with little to no off flavors. I am sure you will make fine tasting beer, but I fear it is not going to be a lager.

Lukehenslick@Facebook.com. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would say that in all beers, controlling hte temperature of the fermentation has the largest effect on the final product of nearly any step we take. It is very important.

This is doubly true with lagers. Not be mean, but I highly doubt you got a good clean lager profile fermenting a lager strain at room temperature. You have made what is generally called a steam beer. Lager strain through a ton of flavor when fermented at warmer temepratures and these flavors are not in line with the typical lager taste profile (maerzens, pils, helles etc.).

Temperature control will greatly improve the quality of your beer. This is true in the science of brewing, and also from personal experience.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I would say that in all beers, controlling the temperature of the fermentation has the largest effect on the final product of nearly any step we take. It is very important...

this!

Room temperatures aren't even optimal for ale yeasts - unless your room is 55-60F, as active fermentation raises the temp of the wort 5-10F.

Work on temp control, see your beers escalate in quality!

Quick Reply