The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lager temp control question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
wheatgerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default lager temp control question

Yesterday, I pitched my lager starter(WLP820) straight from a 35F fridge into 3.5 gallons of 40F degree wort. I set my fridge temp controller to 55F. My plan was to allow the temp to creep up throughout the course of fermentation as I do with ales, ending at around 60F, and then do a DR at the end at around 70F.

But, I started reading today that some recommend pitching lagers at room temp until you see activity and then cooling it down. That just doesn't seem right to me since I've always heard that a slow rise is best. Cooling down after ferm begins seems like a no-no.

Any advice on which is best? Does it matter much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I like to be at least within the recommended range for the yeast to start, then I adjust down to the low side of that over several days, then DR, then lager.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Pitching cold helps prevent precursors to Diacytel.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
But, I started reading today that some recommend pitching lagers at room temp until you see activity and then cooling it down. That just doesn't seem right to me since I've always heard that a slow rise is best. Cooling down after ferm begins seems like a no-no.

Any advice on which is best? Does it matter much?
you did it the right way. its always best to raise not lower the temp after pitching

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
wheatgerm
Recipes 

thanks guys.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
you did it the right way. Its always best to raise not lower the temp after pitching
+1

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Quick Reply