Lager storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethga

Reaction score
Hi all... be gentle, I did search around for a bit and either I am not doing it properly or I am looking for the wrong things.

I plan on attempting a batch of american style lager, I am able to control temps throughout thanks to an empty kegerator at the moment.

My question is this -- when it is completely done, I plan on kegging it or bottling, have not decided. Can I store at room temperature (70f), then go ahead and refrigerate and serve when I am ready (possibly months down the road), or must it remain cold all the time?

Thanks,

Yes and no. No I don't see it being different from any other beer but beer in general is a perishable item that benefits from cold stored.

I store mine the same way I treat microbrews, which is once its chilled thats it. I read up a while ago about letting kegs sit at room temp for a month or 2 and the consensus seemed to be that its fine. However I would avoid temp fluctuations as much as possible and try to keep it as cool as possible, below 70 being best and FOR SURE dont let it sit above 80

i was wondering the same thing. because i dont have a permanent coolage system, though i will be able to ensure cold temperatures throughout a long primary and secondary fermentation. but im wondering if after ive bottled it, and say.. kept the bottles at cool temps for another few weeks until they carbonate if they can be stored at room temperature?

--deleted-- my response was in reference to ales, reread OP title and noticed it referenced lagers, sorry

They can be stored at room temperature, and in fact often are just so they'll carb up in the bottles for at least the first few weeks.

I'd still avoid very high temperatures, just as I do with my ales.

Back