Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lager frementation schedule and temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Unless you can control the ferment to actual Lager temps (around 10C, 50F) with that lager yeast, switch to an ale yeast that suits the temps you can maintain (which will normally be room temp + 3-5 degrees F unless you use cooling techniques).

I don't see a problem taking the ingredients in that lager kit and making ale from it. It won't be as crisp and clear as a lager, but who cares if it's your first batch and it tastes good?

If it were me, I'd grab a pack of dry ale yeast, steep a pound of medium crystal grain (40-60L) for 30 min at 155F (68.5C) for flavor/color, bring to boil, add the kit stuff, and roll with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
allanyork
Recipes 

Well. Last night I stopped pondering ideas and what to do. I just did it. Pitched it directly with 2 packets of s23. Its bubbling pretty good now at 20 c. Guess we will see what happens. I'll let you guys know. Hopefully its not a train wreck. My next beer will probley be an ale. But I'd also like to try out the festa continental pilsner

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #23
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

You'll know in a couple weeks when you take a hydrometer sample and taste it. Did you take an OG reading?

Hopefully it will turn out good.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
allanyork
Recipes 

Yeah og was at 1.044

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
allanyork
Recipes 

What will the abv be? The kit says it should end at 1.010 to 1.008. If I wanted to strengthen it abit could I add sugar to the secondary when I rack it?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanyork View Post
What will the abv be? The kit says it should end at 1.010 to 1.008. If I wanted to strengthen it abit could I add sugar to the secondary when I rack it?
ABV = (OG - FG) * 131

Could you add sugar to the secondary to strengthen it? Yes, that is technically feasible. Adding sugar will increase the ABV, but it will also alter the body and flavor of the beer. I probably would not add any sugar, but you're the brewer. I just think it's important for you to taste your first beer as is, so you can learn from it. If the beer comes out tasting thin, or has a odd flavor, it'll be more difficult to pinpoint the cause of that flavor since you've added additional variables. My thoughts, enjoy your first beer and once you're a little more experienced with recipe design, fermentation, etc., then play around. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
allanyork
Recipes 

I do agree with what you are saying. Just curious about the idea. With that equation abv should be 4.7 which is alright I guess. I would be happier with 5.5 to 6 though. Perhaps I'll experiment on my next batch

Quick Reply