The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager fragen....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lager fragen....

Two lager questions for the wisdom of the masses....

I brewed my second lager over the weekend (Czech Pilsen) and I just realized that I forgot to add the Irish moss to the boil. I was shooting for a really clear, crisp beer for SWMBO (Czech heritage) and am wondering if I am dwarfed. Not worried about the taste just the clarity.

To empty out the carboy to brew the pils, I bottled up my Munchener Helles on Friday. I had used the WLP-800 and had it in primary for 6 weeks. The "problem" was that the yeast never really settled down into a cake. I probably lost about a gallon of volume because the yeast was floating in the bottom 6 inches of the carboy. Kind of looked like seaweed balls. Any ideas what may have gone on with that one?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

to clear a lager you need to secondary around 33-36* for a month. i wouldn't worry about the lack of moss i hardly ever use it anymore and i get some awesomely clear beer still

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

6 weeks for a lager to be in primary is too long. The decaying yeast cells in the primary can contribute to off-flavors. As erik alluded to, most lagers primary for 2 to 3 weeks (maybe 4 in a big lager), then secondary/lager for 3-6 weeks. I never use any finings (kettle or otherwise) on lagers and get very clear beer. A good lagering period at the right temps clears it up.

WLP-800 should have good flocculation. It could be that your yeast was old/less viable and you had a lot of dead and "dusty" yeast floating around.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply