Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
billf2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Lager Bottling

I am about done with the lagering process and will be bottling soon.

This is what I under stand to do. Once the time hits, raise the temp up to 60 degrees and test the gravity. If it is at the targeted FG, bottle.

Here is my question because I am being told 2 different things. Should I simply bottle following the normal process or re-pitch yeast before I bottle?

I was thinking of rehydrating some dry yeast and putting in bottling bucket with the priming sugar, then straining the beer into the bottling bucket to clean out all the "dead" yeast and stuff.

Ideas, and yes I tend to over think everything.

thanx

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've never lagered so I might not be the best resource of information.

One thing I recommend though is that you take a sample of the beer first and bring that up to 60 degrees; you don't want to bring all of the beer up if it isn't ready.

Secondly, unless you are freezing your beer or pasteurizing it, you shouldn't have to add more yeast for bottle conditioning. There should still be enough in the beer. You can always jam the siphoning wand into the yeast cake to get some yeast from the primary to the bottling bucket; just only do it for a second.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply