Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager and Ale yeast combined

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
RoryG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager and Ale yeast combined

Hey, I posted this in the yeast and fermentation forum, but figured I'd stick it in here too

My latest batch is a Coopers Sparkling Ale with steeped roasted barley - will hopefully turn out something like a stout/porter, but I've never done this kit before so who knows!?

Anyway, my question regards the yeast. I'm told that the Sparkling ale comes with a mixture of Ale and Lager yeast - this has confused me! The Coopers instructions don't mention any special requirements, but I'm not sure whether i'm meant to be cold fermenting it for the lager yeast... And if i do cold ferment it, what happens to the ale yeast!!?!? I've currently got it at 17C (63F) and just seeing how it goes.

Does anyone have experience with combination yeasts? What do you suggest is the temperature to go for?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
norwegianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if it's combined.

But i'd try and ferment this at 18 - 20 C anyway.
A lager yeast will perform at ale temperatures as well (though you'd get some more esters etc. at higher-than-lager-temperatures).

However, an ale yeast will not ferment at all, with lager temperatures.

So if it is combined or not doesn't really matter....you'd still want to ferment it at ale temperatures

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The only blended yeast I've used is WLP 080 Cream Ale. I find it works great in the lower end of the temperature range (low-mid 60s) , produces a very clean, psuedo-lager.

Quick Reply