Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lactose, when to add?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

10 minutes? Damn, just brewed a Milk Chocolate Stout and the recipe called to add at 60 min. Wonder how that will affect the lactose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap View Post
10 minutes? Damn, just brewed a Milk Chocolate Stout and the recipe called to add at 60 min. Wonder how that will affect the lactose.
yeah I see some brew kits, that say to add the lactose at 60min. I also wanted to know if there is a difference or not?

On deck: Chimay Red clone, Westvleteren abt. 12 clone, Hoppy Darko Cascadian Dark Ale
Conditioning: chocolate stout

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Preference maybe i see it all the time and never get definate answers. I did with my stout last 10 min. But stir it i noticed it coated the bottom even with stirring vigorously and pulling it from boil. I may add more at botteling if i feel it needs more although i used less than you to start. You should be more than fine with a pound.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Preference maybe i see it all the time and never get definate answers. I did with my stout last 10 min. But stir it i noticed it coated the bottom even with stirring vigorously and pulling it from boil. I may add more at botteling if i feel it needs more although i used less than you to start. You should be more than fine with a pound.
thanks bro! I decided Ill do it at 10mins. Ill just get a sample of the wart before I add it. That should be close enough of a reading, even though im sure the additional 10mins boil would condense the wort a bit more

On deck: Chimay Red clone, Westvleteren abt. 12 clone, Hoppy Darko Cascadian Dark Ale
Conditioning: chocolate stout

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
downinit
Recipes 

Just to be clear... It doesn't really matter when you add the lactose, boiling longer than 10 minutes will have an unnoticeable affect, if any, on it. As with malt extract just make sure to stir it in good when adding so that it doesn't scorch.

Primary: Wheat Porter
Secondary:
Kegged: Scottish Wee Heavy
Pale Ale

Quick Reply