Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lactose how much is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
fiestygoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lactose how much is too much?

So I have never used lactose before and i was wondering, really, how much is too much?
My plan is to use it in a milk stout and since the idea i have is a little off the wall im thinking of only doing a one to two gallon batch.
I read an article a little whiles ago that a good rule of thumb is one pound for every 2 gallons however, a lot of receipes i have seen only ask for a pound. I guess I would like input from other people that have used it.

How much can I use before it starts to ruin the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

one pound for every two gallons will completely ruin your beer.

From what I found when researching the style was the average was a pound per 5 gallons. So I found a solid left hand milk stout clone, made a few adjustments and brewed it. I added a pound of lactose during the last 10 minutes of the boil. The beer turned out way too sweet and the mouthfeel was a little funky. If I were to brew it again I would cut the lactose in half. Taste it before bottling then and only if needed add no more than an additional quarter pound to my 5 gallon batch.

If you are only doing a 1 gallon batch I would keep it to 1.75oz. then taste it before bottling. You can always add another half ounce at bottling if you want it to be a bit sweeter.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Make a two gallon batch and split it. Add 1.5 oz to one gallon and 3 to the other. Bottle and compare. Personally, I find 8 oz in five gallons plenty.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've used .5lb, .75lb, and a full 1.0lb in 5 gallons. 1/2 lb was not enough for me, but was noticeable. .75 was better. glad I upped the hops a bit (extra .5oz of fuggles at 60 min) with 1lb in a 5gallon batch. I wouldn't go over 1lb per 5 gallons... and I love milk stouts! 1/2 to 3/4lb is the best range.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Make a two gallon batch and split it. Add 1.5 oz to one gallon and 3 to the other. Bottle and compare. Personally, I find 8 oz in five gallons plenty.
+1. I recently used 4 oz in a 2.5 gallon batch of sweet stout. It placed 2nd in a local comp. with a good score and my buddies and I liked it, but the BJCP judge found the sweetness to be overpowering and really he's right. I liked the sweetness with the chocolate but it's not exactly a perfectly balanced beer.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
I've used .5lb, .75lb, and a full 1.0lb in 5 gallons. 1/2 lb was not enough for me, but was noticeable. .75 was better. glad I upped the hops a bit (extra .5oz of fuggles at 60 min) with 1lb in a 5gallon batch. I wouldn't go over 1lb per 5 gallons... and I love milk stouts! 1/2 to 3/4lb is the best range.
I tried 8oz and then another batch with 1 lb and that is slightly too much. I agree with starfish 1/2-3/4 lb is about right for a 5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply