Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lactose??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
biggben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default lactose??

I was wondering about lactose. i have never used the stuff personally but i know that its used in porters and stouts from time to time. the reason i asked is this beer that i made taste bitter and i am hoping to add some sweetness would lactose be overkill on the sweetness? or would it be a mild creaminess and sweetness? also curious how it would pair up with the maltodextrin in a recipe like this? not sure what to classify this recipe as it keeps showing on my brew software that its closest guess is a Baltic porter but im not sure. thanks for any and all help.

OG 1.059
FG 1.017
IBU 38
Final Volume into Carboy 5.50 gallons
Efficiency Set at 65% (I got 79% out of this Batch, so it came out a weeee bit bigger )

12 lbs UK 2 Row

10 ounce 60L

10 ounce Toasted Malt

8 ounce Dark Wheat Malt

2 ounce Roasted Barley

4 ounce Malto Dextrin

0.75 ounce Chinook 60 minutes

1.00 ounce Fuggles 15 minutes

0.75 ounce Est Kent Goldings 5 minutes

W-Yeast 1968 London ESB[/QUOTE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've used Lactose several times, first time I started with a 1/2 lb in a milk stout, wish I had used at least 3/4 if not the full pound, I have a breakfast stout coming up soon in a few weeks, that will be using a full pound.

Lactose imparts some noticeable sweetness, but not cloying, it does add pretty much body & mouth feel. Milk Stouts are one of my favorite styles to drink.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply