*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lacto-infection...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
stevecaaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default lacto-infection...

Hello everyone, as I was racking my first ever batch of an extract brew last night, day 5 since pitching the yeast, I came across a slimy jelly like substance about an inch long and the size of a pencil in diameter. It smushed like jello between my fingers. As I have read, this is a sure sign of a lacto-infection, am I screwed? I'm not going to dump it, I'm definatly going to wait, but has anyone ever experienced such discoveries? Can i stop it? Thanks very much for your help

Im thinking it came from dry hopping or tossing in the irish moss after the boil (since i forgot to toss in the finishing hops and the moss during the last 5 minutes of the boil), because thats the only place I can see of where I wasnt sterile.. thanks again, have a good day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Dose it with Campden (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) tablets, one per gallon. That will kill many bacteria. Then 48 hours later, rack it. If it isn't at the target gravity, pitch some more yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
stevecaaster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Campden

from what I have just read the Campden tablets, at that dose, will also kill my yeast, so I would wait about 3 days after tossing in 5 tablets, then pitch some more yeast i guess???
Would I just toss in a packet of dry yeast right into the carboy? is that too much yeast?
Could the gelatinous substance be a product of the irish moss that i put in after boiling/cooling? i know that the moss would have to be boiled for it to do its job, but since i added it later on could the carrageen be collecting out of the irish moss?

there is also a distinct 1 inch layer on the top of the wort in the carboy, where that liquid is clear, then it goes cloudy. at the bottom of the layer, 1 inch down from the surface of the wort, there is bits of hops/whatever resting on the layer...

Quick Reply