The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Label at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
bigloubrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Label at home?

Hello everyone, I want to do my own label for my new gingerbread beer for Christmas.

Anyone knows a program to do the logo and a way to print and stick it on my bottles?

Thanks in advance,
Louis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use http://www.beerlabelizer.com/
and Avery 5164 3-1/3" x 4" address labels.
some people use regular paper and milk to stick it to the bottles.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just bought some Avery labels and they have templates online, simple design and print

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
ETCS
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quick tips:

1) Design your labels with any software you choose.
2) Have them printed on good paper using a color laser printer (Kinkos, your work, etc...)
3) Cut labels out and wet the back of the label with MILK..and place on bottles....let sit and dry....stays on as long as you want to and comes off with water....Avery labels are a pain in the ass to get off.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
J187
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor View Post
Quick tips:

2) Have them printed on good paper using a color laser printer (Kinkos, your work, etc...)
3) Cut labels out and wet the back of the label with MILK..and place on bottles....let sit and dry....stays on as long as you want to and comes off with water....Avery labels are a pain in the ass to get off.
This is almost perfect in my opinion... except one small detail - Personally, I'd say go with regular ole paper. Nothing to heavy weight or pricey. The regular paper prints perfectly fine and actually looks almost more like what you expect a beer label to look like. Laser printing is good because it won't bleed.

I use photoshop, save as PDF - I put a tutorial in the labels forum on how to use picture package to automate 4 labels per page from one JPG - then I bring the PDF to staples on a thumb drive and have them printed color laser, reg paper - $.050 per page, usually 8-12 pages, $6 or less and I'm done. My tutorial shows how to butt all edges together in the center of the page so if you get a slide paper cutter, it's just 6 swipes - the four borders and then the middle "cross" section of the labels. As Jkaylor says, stick with milk and the regular paper comes off even easier when you rinse! After you pour a bottle run under warm water, rinse, peel, tree.

BTW - the Labels subforum has TONS of info including a million examples to look at.

The finished product looks like this, saved in PDF and is ready to print!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor View Post
Quick tips:

This is what I do but I use regular old copy paper and black and white ink and skim milk to attach.

www.labeley.com is pretty good.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
bigloubrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

On labelizer, is it safe to pay,it is not a fraud? And when you subscribe is there more then the 12 models on the front page of the site or there is much more?

Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloubrew View Post
On labelizer, is it safe to pay,it is not a fraud? And when you subscribe is there more then the 12 models on the front page of the site or there is much more?

Thanks again!
Yes it's safe,there are only the 12 but it is only $5 and for me well worth it, there is a lengthy thread about it here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/beer...erator-180409/
I like the ability to easily incorporate pictures on the labels and ease of use.

Quick Reply