Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kraussen question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
RangerG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Kraussen question

I typically make beers with 6.5 lbs of DME and an extra lb of either honey or demerara sugar and hence a great cleansing blow-off.

But I made an American Ale with only 6.6 lbs of LMS and the majority of fermentation was over in a couple of days with no blow off. The green stuff is mostly stuck to the inside of the carboy, like it should be, but I like it ALL to be out. Will those bits of green stuff (hop particles and such) floating on the surface impart any off flavors to this beer? Or will they eventually settle out? Or should I just avoid them when racking to secondary?

I'm drinking it anyway and considering I'm a FNG probably won't even notice, but was concerned as a good father should be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The first step is to let the kraussen fall, if that hasn't happened you are most likely still fermenting.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

It's fine. Some beers will blow off. Others won't. Yeast strain and gravity are the biggest factors. Don't worry about it.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Ideally, you'd be filtering the hops before going into the fermenter, but you;re fine regardless.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
Joker

Recipes 

Unless dry hopping.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Unless dry hopping.
... not in the primary...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
Joker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
... not in the primary...
Interesting I have not done it personally but I have read many articles about dry hopping in the primary. Is this a mistake?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #8
RangerG

Recipes 

I run the wort through the standard screen in a 12" funnel. I thought the greenish stuff stuck to the inside of the upper part of the carboy during blow-ooff or Kraussening was just the super-tiny particles of hops (cause it's green) that the mesh missed - unless it'sjust funk, oh well.

I just read EVERYTHING I could find here at HBT about dry-hoppping and in the primary seems to be a no-no because you lose the aroma. I'm planning on adding an oz of Sorachi Ace or somehting like that at 5 days to bottling in eht secondary. Soorry, had a Hrcules Double IPA and it was awsome, witill waiting for one of my 6 fermenters in ten years to be done so I can be rid of store-bought for the most part.

Thanks for the info on the Kraussen - didn't think it was a problem , just wanted to understand it better.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
RangerG

Recipes 

I always filter out the hops in one of those 12" funnel screen things. I just assumed that the green stuff stick to the insode of the upper part of the carboy was super-fine hop particles being blown off.

just read all I could find about dry-hopping at HBT and I read that Dry hopping in primary is a no-no cause you lose the aroma. Am planning to add 1 oz Soriachi Ace to last five days - nice for my first batch since 1991, dry hopping and secondary fermentation - but I couldn't or wouldn't attempt what I'm doing without access to the collective knowledge that I read here at this site. Back in the day I think I just guessed, but I was a chef during school (accountant now) and that's how I cook, It may be a while before I use a SG thing - I just wait longer. If hte bubbleer stops, I still wait longer.

Thsnks - sorry Hercules Double IPA happening, I'll be glad when these six fermanters are in bottles and i can be rid of expensive sotre bought - that Hercules cost $7 for a 22oz, but it ws real good. This beer is going to come out first - I've got it timed to be done and drinkable aon christmas day. Arrghhh......

Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
jjmadden08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Interesting I have not done it personally but I have read many articles about dry hopping in the primary. Is this a mistake?
i dry hop in the primary when called for (but only b/c i dont have a secondary yet) and have turned out some great tasting beer

Quick Reply