Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Krausen question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
lostspring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Krausen question

OK it's been 12 days now. The fermenter is in the basement at 52degs. The airlock center piece never moved and the lid was snapped on tight.
Today I took off the lid. There is still a full krausen at least 1" thick, a foamy brown color. I can see where it touched the bottom of the lid. I am now a full believer in the don't trust the airlock group. A most wonderful smell.
I now have a question tho. The SG started at 1.042 and is now at FG 1.015 but what about the krausen? Doesn't that mean it is still fermenting? Temp has remained a steady 52degs with no variation.
Oh the sample from the thief tasted great. Still has some light cloudiness.
I intend to move this to a secondary for further clearing but the krausen plus the SG reading has me confused.
It was a Midwest kit Excelsior Altbier. Yeast was Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast done as a starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I'd check the SG again in a couple of days. If it's still 1.015, you can rack. If it's dropping a little bit, then leave it until it's stable. You can rack after the gravity is stable.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm having a similar issue- I brewed this batch Sunday, March 28. It was supposed to be a wit, but I accidentally brought 3lbs of wheat DME and 3 lbs of light DME, so it's a sort of wit. I pitched WLP400. I checked after a week, tons of krausen. I checked last night and I still have a thick, bubbly layer of krausen on top of the brew. I didn't take a hydrometer reading because I figured, "damn. a lot of krausen."

I'm planning to rack to secondary on top of 1lb of Oregon apricot puree. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Ignore the krausen and rack anyway? Wait another week or two?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlbrew View Post
I'm having a similar issue- I brewed this batch Sunday, March 28. It was supposed to be a wit, but I accidentally brought 3lbs of wheat DME and 3 lbs of light DME, so it's a sort of wit. I pitched WLP400. I checked after a week, tons of krausen. I checked last night and I still have a thick, bubbly layer of krausen on top of the brew. I didn't take a hydrometer reading because I figured, "damn. a lot of krausen."

I'm planning to rack to secondary on top of 1lb of Oregon apricot puree. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Ignore the krausen and rack anyway? Wait another week or two?
Check your gravity readings. If they remain the same on two to three different days then primary fermentation is complete despite the krausen. It is not uncommon to see krausen remain indefinitely on wheat beers.

Quick Reply