Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Krausen Blow Out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Tvc15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Krausen Blow Out

I had my first krausen blow out. The Wyeast german ale 1007 filled the headspace and went through the airlock, looks like I lost about 12-18 oz. of sticky foamy krausen mess. Will this effect the outcome of the brew?

Tips please, thanks!

(Temp was about 68°, 5 gallons, 1 liter yeast starter)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

nope, won't affect the flavor. welcome to the club, as most of us have had a blowout in our brewing careers. clean it all up, add a blowoff tube to your next brew, and relax

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

My first was with my Belgian Dubbel... It was my first adventure with a yeast starter and wasn't anticipating it to pop the airlock in less then 12 hours. Thankfully it just kept foaming and nothing got in

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
WoodJRx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup. I just had my first not too long ago. However, cleaning up that mess was enough to convince me to always use blow-off tubes for the first part of fermentation (until it settles down a bit). I've learned to RDWHAHB (I think - we'll find out next 'crisis').

As for tips - starsan soaked paper towels, a spray bottle with starsan, and something to set the fermenter in (like a tub, etc - keeping it off the floor) help keep the floor cleaner (in case of a leak / blowout), and make cleaning up pretty easy. The spray bottle of starsan is great - really helps in cleaning up / sanitizing any mess.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodJRx
Yup. I just had my first not too long ago. However, cleaning up that mess was enough to convince me to always use blow-off tubes for the first part of fermentation (until it settles down a bit). I've learned to RDWHAHB (I think - we'll find out next 'crisis').

As for tips - starsan soaked paper towels, a spray bottle with starsan, and something to set the fermenter in (like a tub, etc - keeping it off the floor) help keep the floor cleaner (in case of a leak / blowout), and make cleaning up pretty easy. The spray bottle of starsan is great - really helps in cleaning up / sanitizing any mess.
Milk crates work great. Not too expensive on amazon and are great for transporting. Prevent the Better Bottle Back Suck too
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
justin2001fox Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Tvc15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Thanks ya'all

Quick Reply