Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > konrelius keg question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
gunsout
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default konrelius keg question

So i am thinking about getting into brewing and was reading the this vs that sticky and i noticed the kornelius keg for brewing. i looked around for them and it seems to me like you would not be able to use it to ferment due to no airlog on the kegs. is there some sort of conversion kit to enable the use of an airlock? Do most people still ferment in carboys or buckets and then transfer to the keg for distribution? I think i'm going to like brewing a lot so i would rather go big early. if i truly cant stand it ill sell the gear. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

You can ferment in korny kegs, but the purpose is not for taking that keg and hooking it right up to the draft system. It's more for the reason that it is a stainless vessel. You can put an airlock on it, just remove one of the posts, take the dip tube out and put in the airlock.

That being said, most brewers that keg still ferment in another vessel. Bucket, carboy, conical, etc. The keg is just a beer dispensing tool. Think of it as one big bottle instead of 50 12oz bottles.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
gunsout

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah thats what i assumed but in the sticky it said you could ferment, bottle and serve out the same container so was just wondering. i figure most solely use it as for kegging after the beer is complete.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It seems you have already read the vs. threads so you probably know the benefits and down side of each. That said in my experience with other brewers the choice is a matter of preference that becomes an emotional choice. For cost buckets are the best as you can ferment in a food grade 5 gallon bucket purchased from Lowe's for $5.94 plus tax. While nice they are more prone to possible infection but its occurrence is rare for those who are strict on sanitation. The same pros/cons is true for better bottles/water jugs as plastic buckets go. The only difference is they are a bit more expensive but conform to the familiar shape of a glass carboy. Glass carboys will last a lifetime (as long as you don't shatter them through mishandling), are easy to clean (I disagree to a point), and are the mainstay for most home brewers as a primary fermenter. They can break, are expensive (when you add in shipping many cost anywhere from 45-60) and are HEAVY and awkward when filled. Lastly there is the Cornelius keg. They are light when compared to glass carboys, easier to handle, are stainless and thus durable (do not shatter), and are mainstay for kegging so utilitarian. The downside to kegs are they have parts that can fail (post and O-rings will not seal properly during anaerobic fermentation-although not really a bad thing in itself, just annoying), parts are expensive to replace, they are increasingly difficult to find as many were shipped out to Asia and home brewers have been holding on to them, and at around $55 market rate they are usually more expensive then all but the most insanely over-priced glass carboy.

That said I ferment exclusively in corny kegs. I am crazy silly about possible infection with plastic (plus I am not fond of plastic manufacturing in general) and to me glass carboys are relics that are not worth the hassle.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oh and I don't ferment out of the post. I use old drilled out MPR lids with 2 #3 stoppers, airlock, and thermowell. Sweet setup that is as near to a closed system as a home brewer can get when doing transfers and rackings.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
gunsout

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeadows24 View Post
Oh and I don't ferment out of the post. I use old drilled out MPR lids with 2 #3 stoppers, airlock, and thermowell. Sweet setup that is as near to a closed system as a home brewer can get when doing transfers and rackings.
could you possibly send me a pic of that lid or post it? did you DIY the lids or you picked them up somewhere? also do you only use a primary and therefore when the fermentation is done you carb it and chill it so its ready to serve? basically no transfers is what im asking i guess.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
mmeadows24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'll get a pic up for you tomorrow but I did buy the lid with one hole drilled already. http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...roducts_id=512

I ended up drilling out a second hole for my thermowell, so in theory I could do both myself on a lid with no holes. I used a titanium coated step bit. Go slow if you do it, as drilling fast rounds out the bit. There are a few different pre-made fermenter lids but they wouldn't set-up well to seal for transfer as well as my system. I simply stick a #000 solid stopper in the drilled #3 stopper and push from keg to keg under about 5 psi and I have no trouble transfering about 5 gallons from one keg to another in under minute. As stated I do transer (racking). I primarily make mead so I have to rack multiple times to clarify the mead. I also bought spare liquid dip tubes so I could cut a few about 1.5 inches shorter to leave approx. 6-8 oz behind that ends up leaving behind most of the lees.

Quick Reply