Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Knowing what you know now, what would you buy starting out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Outside of the usual things, since I gather the post intention was for upgrades we eventually went to, I would say:

10 gallon Blichmann kettle
Blichmann floor burner with leg extentions
Immersion chiller - important here, no more ice baths and I went from boiling to 68 degree pitching temp yesterday in about 22 minutes! I move the IC around though to speed it up
Bench capper - or most would say kegging system I gather, haven't went there yet
Extra fermenters to have a few going at a time
Mash tun - basically going AG

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
stellaontap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A good thermometer....I keep missing my mash temps by a couple of degrees.

Eric

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
madman960
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Rev, I am trying to find out what you would purchase to start out knowing what you know now. I do not want to buy stuff I do not need or will never use.

Just got the go ahead from the wife to build a brew shed in the backyard. The less I spend on stuff I do not need, the more elaborate my shed can be.

Bill

Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i used to use carboys for primary and secondary. now i use a 7.5 gallon bucket for primary and a 5 gallon bucket for secondary.

getting a quarter pound of hops into and out of a carboy hole is a PAIN! buckets are much easier to work with. i am able to get 5 gallon buckets with a gasket lid for free from the local bagel shop. the shop buys malt extract in these buckets, uses the extract syrup, then throws away the buckets. they throw away a few of these buckets every weeks. they even have 2.5 gallon buckets.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 420

I’ll be the voice of opposition. Started with Mr Beer and took about a year to go AG. After over 150 batches I'm still having fun upgrading and learning. If I had it to do again wouldn’t want anything different. It’s a hobby and all about the journey. Start at the finish and you miss the scenery.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
madman960
Recipes 

I am not trying to skip the journey. I just dont want to buy things I will not need or use.

I already have enough stuff I do not need or use.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I would have bought pretty much everything in the order I did, except I probably would have bought a better quality kettle for the stove. Now that I've been banished to the outdoors it's probably less of an issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I went the basically-standard route; starter kit from Midwest supplies (with a few minor exceptions, they're all the same), and a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. I also jumped into kegging right away (my wallet may have regretted that move, but none of the rest of me did!).

The only things that I either don't use or use only rarely are my bottling wand (I still plan to bottle the occasional batch, so this doesn't seem a waste to have hanging around) and I bought 1 5 gallon better bottle and inherited 1 5 gallon glass carboy. Since I only rarely secondary now, these are pretty redundant - a couple primaries and a single secondary would've done me just fine.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
madman960
Recipes 

I have a question about a secondary/bottling bucket.

Could I use a 5 or 10 gallon water cooler as a secondary? Only because it has a spigot and that can fill bottles with it. I would attach a hose to the spigot.

Actually, I think I will just use them as the primary. This way it will make transfers a breeze.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #20
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I don't think you want to use the plastic water jugs for fermentation. I don't believe they're made to keep all oxygen out like the food grade buckets or glass carboys we use. If everything was well sanitized I suppose you could use them as part of your bottling process. Good luck!

Quick Reply