Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Knowing what you know now, what would you buy starting out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Outside of the usual things, since I gather the post intention was for upgrades we eventually went to, I would say:

10 gallon Blichmann kettle
Blichmann floor burner with leg extentions
Immersion chiller - important here, no more ice baths and I went from boiling to 68 degree pitching temp yesterday in about 22 minutes! I move the IC around though to speed it up
Bench capper - or most would say kegging system I gather, haven't went there yet
Extra fermenters to have a few going at a time
Mash tun - basically going AG

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
stellaontap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A good thermometer....I keep missing my mash temps by a couple of degrees.

Eric

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
madman960
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Rev, I am trying to find out what you would purchase to start out knowing what you know now. I do not want to buy stuff I do not need or will never use.

Just got the go ahead from the wife to build a brew shed in the backyard. The less I spend on stuff I do not need, the more elaborate my shed can be.

Bill

Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i used to use carboys for primary and secondary. now i use a 7.5 gallon bucket for primary and a 5 gallon bucket for secondary.

getting a quarter pound of hops into and out of a carboy hole is a PAIN! buckets are much easier to work with. i am able to get 5 gallon buckets with a gasket lid for free from the local bagel shop. the shop buys malt extract in these buckets, uses the extract syrup, then throws away the buckets. they throw away a few of these buckets every weeks. they even have 2.5 gallon buckets.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

I’ll be the voice of opposition. Started with Mr Beer and took about a year to go AG. After over 150 batches I'm still having fun upgrading and learning. If I had it to do again wouldn’t want anything different. It’s a hobby and all about the journey. Start at the finish and you miss the scenery.

Billy-Klubb

Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
madman960
Recipes 

I am not trying to skip the journey. I just dont want to buy things I will not need or use.

I already have enough stuff I do not need or use.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I would have bought pretty much everything in the order I did, except I probably would have bought a better quality kettle for the stove. Now that I've been banished to the outdoors it's probably less of an issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I went the basically-standard route; starter kit from Midwest supplies (with a few minor exceptions, they're all the same), and a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. I also jumped into kegging right away (my wallet may have regretted that move, but none of the rest of me did!).

The only things that I either don't use or use only rarely are my bottling wand (I still plan to bottle the occasional batch, so this doesn't seem a waste to have hanging around) and I bought 1 5 gallon better bottle and inherited 1 5 gallon glass carboy. Since I only rarely secondary now, these are pretty redundant - a couple primaries and a single secondary would've done me just fine.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
madman960
Recipes 

I have a question about a secondary/bottling bucket.

Could I use a 5 or 10 gallon water cooler as a secondary? Only because it has a spigot and that can fill bottles with it. I would attach a hose to the spigot.

Actually, I think I will just use them as the primary. This way it will make transfers a breeze.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 214

I don't think you want to use the plastic water jugs for fermentation. I don't believe they're made to keep all oxygen out like the food grade buckets or glass carboys we use. If everything was well sanitized I suppose you could use them as part of your bottling process. Good luck!

Quick Reply