Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Know of any brew kits with wort chiller under $200?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
wolfgre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Know of any brew kits with wort chiller under $200?

I am new to HBT and this is my first post! I am wondering if there any brew kits with a wort chiller for around $200.

So far my favorite kit is the Northern Brewer Deluxe Starter Kit w/ glass carboys for $166.99. I think this is a good kit because it comes with 2 glass carboys. Are there any better kits out there for the price? I am interested in 2stage fermentation.

Any info would be great for a new home brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This ones over the budget but it also includes an 8 gallon kettle with valve so you can do full volume boils.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/159...g_Super_Deluxe

Or you could order a kit like this:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/159..._%232_-_Deluxe

and add a wort chiller for $60-$70.. ( you could always make your own for cheaper if wanted, search for the build threads on this forum )

Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
wolfgre
Recipes 

I think those kits are just average with the plastic carboys. But thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I feel glass carboys are overrated. Buckets work just as well and are cheaper, easier to use, and easy to clean.

At the very least, if you get glass carboys make sure you get a carboy carrier that fits them, or else you are likely to hurt either yourself or your beer.

To be honest if I had to start brewing all over again, I wouldn't buy a kit. I also wouldn't start with a 5 gallon kettle...that's a mistake IMO.

Last edited by weirdboy; 07-28-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can pick up a basic starter kit for around $100 and get a wort chiller for around $75. You could also make one for less than that.

+1 to just using plastic buckets. I have a better bottle and really don't use it all that often. Mostly just to secondary a beer if I'm brewing a second batch right behind the 1st one.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
slothrop
Recipes 

I'm new to brewing also and I bought this for about 90 bucks and made a decent wort chiller for about $18. Actually the kit was cheaper since I live near the store and went there in person.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want to do a bit more "DIY" you could rig you set up yourself. Thanks to a lot of the guys and their wealth of knowledge on the forum, you can do more for less.

Personally, I only ordered what I needed (hydro, sanitizer, airlocks etc), Made my own wort chiller Bottling bucket, and mash tun w/ spigot. I used HDPE 5 gal buckets (for 4 gal batches), and built a ferm chamber all for under $200. I had alot of stuff around the house.

But in the end its do what you want. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
wolfgre
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I feel glass carboys are overrated. Buckets work just as well and are cheaper, easier to use, and easy to clean.

At the very least, if you get glass carboys make sure you get a carboy carrier that fits them, or else you are likely to hurt either yourself or your beer.

To be honest if I had to start brewing all over again, I wouldn't buy a kit. I also wouldn't start with a 5 gallon kettle...that's a mistake IMO.

Well if i should not buy a kit then how should i get started???

Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I really like the buckets too. I just got to the stage where I replaced them with new ones. The old ones will come in handy for sanitizing, storing grain/ equipment etc.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgre View Post
Well if i should not buy a kit then how should i get started???
Well, we can help you with that. Need to know if you're doing full or partial boils. Need to know if you're doing extract w/ steeping grains, partial mash, or jumping right into all-grain. Sounds like you're doing 5gal batches and you want to secondary. Give us some more info and we can help you design your own customized badass kit

Quick Reply