*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kit Recipe Make Sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
mdineenwob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kit Recipe Make Sense?

Hi,

I'm working on a start kit from LHBS. While it's been fermenting/in secondary I've been reading forums 24/7.

I bought the kit from Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn, MA. They've been awesome and don't seem like they'd steer me wrong. I know they get a bad rap on this forum but they've been pretty cool with me thus far.

Long story short - after reading the forums the recipe doesn't make sense to me. Basically, its goes into the primary for four days, then into secondary for 11 more days, then into the bottle for 14 days. The fact that it goes from wort to bottle in 15 days seems waaaayyyy too quick.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Same with a lot of instructions on the kits, they want you to rush the process so that you'll be drinking more..thus needing to buy another kit. Go with 3-4 weeks in primary and bottle from there making sure you've hit FG of course. You can skip secondary all together unless you are bulk aging or adding things such as fruit/oak chips..etc.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
mdineenwob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Same with a lot of instructions on the kits, they want you to rush the process so that you'll be drinking more..thus needing to buy another kit. Go with 3-4 weeks in primary and bottle from there making sure you've hit FG of course. You can skip secondary all together unless you are bulk aging or adding things such as fruit/oak chips..etc.
Unfortunately I've already transferred to secondary and this Sunday will be the 11th.

Would I benefit from letting it sit in secondary for longer?

Should I just bottle it, RDWHAHB, and make my next batch the "right" way?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Secondary doesn't hurt, it's just not needed. There are a lot of threads on here that there is benefit with leaving the brew on the yeast longer to allow them time to clean up after themselves. You won't have a lesser brew from transferring, it's just not needed and allows more risk for infection or oxidation unless there is a reason for the transfer. There are a lot of ways to get to the same result. I'd leave it in the secondary until it clears out. Then you can bottle/keg whatever it is you're planning on doing with it.

EDIT: Of course, it matters what beer you are brewing. I'm speaking in general terms.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Wolfhound180
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

What kind of beer are you brewing?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
mdineenwob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound180 View Post
What kind of beer are you brewing?
Amber ale.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2050 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

It seems to me that they know you'll be watching the bubbles in the airlock,which on average take about 4 days till they stop. Making you think fermentations done. It isn't. That's just initial fermentation,the more aggressive part. After that,it slows down to a crawl down to a stable FG. Taking it off the yeast too soon can also make it stall & not finish fermenting.
I then give it 3-5 days on average to clean up by products & settle out more. Then rack to a bottling bucket,bulk prime to style,& bottle away.
I hate those instructions they give out. The times are definitely way off for a good beer.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
mdineenwob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It seems to me that they know you'll be watching the bubbles in the airlock,which on average take about 4 days till they stop. Making you think fermentations done. It isn't. That's just initial fermentation,the more aggressive part. After that,it slows down to a crawl down to a stable FG. Taking it off the yeast too soon can also make it stall & not finish fermenting.
I then give it 3-5 days on average to clean up by products & settle out more. Then rack to a bottling bucket,bulk prime to style,& bottle away.
I hate those instructions they give out. The times are definitely way off for a good beer.
That's what I figured was the best way to do things.

What should I do now that it's sitting in secondary?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Leave it for two, three weeks. Then bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2050 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Ding ding ding ding! Bingo! Yahtzee! Wadda we have for'im Johnny?

Quick Reply