The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kettle size...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Pombe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kettle size...

Hello,

So I've been able to secure most of my starting equipment but I've yet to select my kettle because I'm not sure what size I need. I'm going to start with extract brewing but want my first kettle to be versatile enough to handle partial mash brewing. What size do I/should I go with? I've searched the forums for an answer but wanted current opinions.

Thanks,
G

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Austin Homebrew sells an economy SS 24 qt pot (6 gallon) for 35 bucks or so. Thats the best bang for the buck I have found looking around myself. You might be able to save a few bucks by buying smaller the first go round.... but a 24 qt will let you do a near full boil, which is better than a partial boil and topping off. My first pot was a 10 quart and a 2 gallon boil is a PITA with that.

Last edited by goodbyebluesky82; 11-26-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: EDIT- my first pot was a 10 quart and a 2 gallon boil is a PITA

Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would have to say bigger is better, but make certain you can reach boiling with the big pot if your brewing on your stove. I use a an electric stove that is a real pain to get 6.5 gallons boiling. If your going with outside propane/natural gas, just make certain your burner can fit the pot.
Other than that, once again bigger is better.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyebluesky82 View Post
Austin Homebrew sells an economy SS 24 qt pot (6 gallon) for 35 bucks or so. Thats the best bang for the buck I have found looking around myself. You might be able to save a few bucks by buying smaller the first go round.... but a 24 qt will let you do a near full boil, which is better than a partial boil and topping off. My first pot was a 10 quart and a 2 gallon boil is a PITA with that.
Is that economy SS 24 'really' stainless steal? If so then I assume it is really thin, right? I've heard thin pots can be a problem (though I don't know from experience).

Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you looking for longevity out of the kettle and the ability to do full boils I suggest nothing smaller than a 10 gallon pot. It may seem like overkill for the partial boils, but you'll be happy you have it when you're boiling 6, 7, 8 gallons at a time.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Deacon240
Recipes 

I got a 32qt Aluminum Tamale steamer for around $20 at Walmart. The nice thing is it comes with a false bottom that I can mod for when I wanna go all grain. Conditioning the kettle was as easy as boiling water.

Primary1: Envy - Green Tea Wheat (4/11/09)
Secondary: Schwarzbier Kit (1/11/09)
Bottle Conditioning: None ATM
Drinking: None ATM
Up Next: Lemon Honey Pilsner (est. unknown)

Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you are looking for a starter kettle, just get the cheapest junkiest pot that is at least 3g from a used store or the supermarket. This will be just fine for starting out.

If you are looking to buy 1 kettle that will last for a while, don't get anything under 8g. I was talked into buying a 24qt pot when I was starting to get serious. It is very nice, clad bottom, thick stainless, and nearly useless for any serious brewing. I use it for cooking and for decoctions.... =waste of money

If you are going to spend the money, spend it once and have what you want. If you just want a basic pot, I have found the heavy duty line from B3 to be the best deal including shipping (which is free). If you want all the bells and whistles, the price goes up and the B3 and Blichmann Boilermakers are about a toss up in price.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon240 View Post
I got a 32qt Aluminum Tamale steamer for around $20 at Walmart. The nice thing is it comes with a false bottom that I can mod for when I wanna go all grain. Conditioning the kettle was as easy as boiling water.
If I am correct those pots are steel with a porcelain finish that is prone to crackingand even scratching. Be careful with it. You can't use it on a glass cooktop either (which I have)

Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Deacon240
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyebluesky82 View Post
If I am correct those pots are steel with a porcelain finish that is prone to crackingand even scratching. Be careful with it. You can't use it on a glass cooktop either (which I have)
It's most defiantly aluminum. I can tell by the surface it's a spun aluminum pot.

Primary1: Envy - Green Tea Wheat (4/11/09)
Secondary: Schwarzbier Kit (1/11/09)
Bottle Conditioning: None ATM
Drinking: None ATM
Up Next: Lemon Honey Pilsner (est. unknown)

Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
bigchilla77
Recipes 

If you check out some of the other posts you will see that as a new brewer one of the easiest ways to improve the quality of your beers is to switch to a full boil. That being said it may be in your best interest to do as some of my fellow brewers have said and go a head and buy a larger pot, 30 qts or bigger. Now in order to make your full boils as easy as possible all you have to do is get a propane burner and a wort chiller. I personally started with a 32 qt (I think its 32, it may be bigger) Stainless Steel. It was a bit pricey (90 + tax I think) but it is an awesome pot.

People always seem to look at me strange when I ask them if they want to check out my pot. I dont get it.

Ahhh!!! just getting back in the game.
Brewing a Give Thanks Amber Ale on Thanksgiving morning.

Quick Reply