Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kettle Dip Tube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
BoisePorter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kettle Dip Tube Question

Reading some of the threads today made me think about dip tubes. Has anyone tried using something like:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/weld-...h-no-barb.html

with something like:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-n...stainless.html

screwed on the inside as your tube? Assuming you measured your height correctly, you ought to be able to get it perpendicular with the bottom of the kettle.

A couple other questions come up though.

1 - Would tightening the threads be enough to get an air tight seal, or would you need something else on the threads (such as tape)?

2 - Is the 90 degree angle too much for the siphon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This would certainly work. Just remember that in order to use a dip tube you have to have tubing connected to the ball valve nipple in order to keep a siphon going.

The nipple screwed on the inside would not have to be tight in order for the siphon to work. I made a copper dip tube that screws into the ball valve in my keggle and I have to keep it unscrewed a bit to get it pointed down 90 degrees. I think that as long as it is screwed in by a few threads, there should be a good enough bond to keep the siphon once the water level fall below the valve coupling.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I also forgot to add that if you screw the 90 degree nipple into the inside coupling of a ball valve and you still have a large gap from the end of the nipple to the floor of your kettle, you can always get some silicone tubing. It is rated to 500 degrees.

Quick Reply