Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Harris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kettle

I am all charged up about my first batch of brew. I am looking at kits and equipment and I am wondering if I should just go with a keg conversion? I don't want to spend money on a stainless kettle only to have to buy a keg conversion anyway. What do you think????

Thanks
Harris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're probably getting ahead of yourself because there are a LOT of new challenges when you go full boil, and even more full boil in a keggle. Burners, chillers, and hop utilization oh my. Start with a nice stock pot that you'll use for cooking in the future.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm with Bobby M on this. If you are committed to starting off with full boils either AG or extract get a good stainless pot and with the money you save get the other - in my opinion - essentials such as a wort chiller and good propane burner. Even if down the road you decide to go with a bigger system having another good big pot around will be handy.

PS for what it's worth I've been brewing for over 20 years now and as much as I have lusted after the bigger fancier systems I love the simplicity and easy storage of just using a pot and cooler.

Quick Reply