Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Copperpots_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffewl

I respectfully disagree. Purging the O2 prior to racking creates a "cloud" of Co2 on the bottom of the keg. Opening the keg to rack doesn't allow oxygen in any more than opening the carboy for a gravity reading. You have a cloud of Co2 protecting both. Is is absolutely necessary to always purge the O2 prior to racking, not really, I don't always do it. But it doesn't hurt.
I would think the amount of time the lid is open to fill the keg would allow the co2 cloud to escape and the oxygen to get in just as well, no? As you put the liquid in, the space that the liquid takes up will push any gas, co2 or oxygen out of the top, so in struggling to see the point of putting co2 In and then letting it all escape out as you fill it. I know it's not a lot, but it seems like a waste of co2.
As for opening the carboy for gravity readings, you are still exposing it to oxygen. It's not as if the co2 remains dormant and just sits there, ya know? Hopefully you'll only have it open for a couple seconds and then close it back up. Otherwise, by your point, air locks would be useless.
If I have come off jerky, I don't mean to. Just trying to plea my case

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpots_Brewing View Post
I would think the amount of time the lid is open to fill the keg would allow the co2 cloud to escape and the oxygen to get in just as well, no? As you put the liquid in, the space that the liquid takes up will push any gas, co2 or oxygen out of the top, so in struggling to see the point of putting co2 In and then letting it all escape out as you fill it. I know it's not a lot, but it seems like a waste of co2.
As for opening the carboy for gravity readings, you are still exposing it to oxygen. It's not as if the co2 remains dormant and just sits there, ya know? Hopefully you'll only have it open for a couple seconds and then close it back up. Otherwise, by your point, air locks would be useless.
i agree with purging prior to racking, i do it but it is part of my cleaning also. clean sanitize and push the sanitizer out with co2. then i can leave the keg sealed and pressurized until i am ready to fill it. It will still need the O2 bleed off after filling, but it does provide some oxygen protection.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Naptown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Chicken

i agree with purging prior to racking, i do it but it is part of my cleaning also. clean sanitize and push the sanitizer out with co2. then i can leave the keg sealed and pressurized until i am ready to fill it. It will still need the O2 bleed off after filling, but it does provide some oxygen protection.
Sounds like the best plan to me!

Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast American Ale
Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast Northwest Ale
Keg: American Wheat 3 Floyds Gumballhead clone
Keg: Bombastic IPA
tapped Keg: Wild Child Mild Brown Ale
tapped Keg: Hearts Squared - all grain Bell's clone

Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpots_Brewing View Post
No sweat... I was just pointing out why it wasn't redundant. Different strokes for different folks.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Quick Reply