The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Hops4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegging Question

Ok so 2 kegging questions.

First off I did a wheat style IPA that I brewed 2 sunday's ago (believe that would be the 9th). Yeasties went to work within 6 hours of pitching, and I still had airlock activity going as recently as i think it was tues this week. It's been at about 70* for the majority of the time, never more than 1-2 degrees higher or lower.

So I have 2 questions. First off I'm going out of town a week from tomorrow, while Sunday would make 2 weeks in primary I was planning on kegging sunday night. BUT kegging tomorrow afternoon would actually be better for me, anyone see any issues with this? And no I haven't done hydrometer readings. Other than maybe a little hazy which I think this should be anyway I can't see a reason not to be able to do it.

Second and this is more simplistic, I want to bottle maybe 6-8 bottles, should I just fill 6-8 bottles and use some priming sugar, or should I keg the whole batch, let it carb up for a few days and then pour out of the keg into a bottle and just cap the filled bottles? Will this hold the carbonation well enough?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You can keg when you return without a problem, if you're crunched for time. Second, you could rack 96 oz into a sanitized milk jug before racking to the keg. You can prime and bottle from that.

When I bottle from a keg, I use the beer gun.

Edit: If it's carbed in the keg, it should stay carbed in the bottle.

Edit 2: you can skip priming and force carb.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Hops4life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be force carbing in the keg. Reason i want to get it in and carbed is so i can bring a couple of bottles with me as we're headed out to my inlaws on vacation and my father in law got me into this hobby..... errrr obsession....

Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
iskuse
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can get sugar tabs for the bottles (I forget the proper name for them) you just drop one in each bottle instead of trying to figure out how much primer to make. I filled bottles from a keg and they were flat in about 3 days. I didn't have a beer gun. used a homemade one. didn't work to good

Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Hops4life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes the sugar tabs are what I had originally planned on using, I happen to have some around the house. Just wasn't sure if i could skip the stop or not.

Quick Reply