Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging Q: 4 days at 20 psi, I day at 30 psi, still flat?? Why??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
jph2275
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Kegging Q: 4 days at 20 psi, I day at 30 psi, still flat?? Why??

Hey HBT,

Well on Sunday I kegged my first beer ever, an imperial Irish red ale from AHS. Everything went smoothly and I pressurized it at 20 psi Sunday night. Secondary regulator once cold was at 550 psi.

On Thursday I was sure I would have a tasty carbonated beer waiting for me when I got off of work. I anxiously came home, poured my brew into the glass ... No head ... No carbonation! Wth!!

I must admit, I sampled a glass on Tuesday at 12 psi (turned down from 20) and it had some slight head when pouring. Now ... Nothing.

Frustrated, I cranked it up to 30 psi at 6 pm Thursday and came home just now to check it a day later. No different

What am I doing wrong? I thought kegging was supposed to be easier and less hassle than bottling, but so far it's giving me more headaches!

Ps - I carbed it back to 30 psi and served a glass, all foam but once it settled at least it was "ok." Not right though ...

Help?

Patrick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also ... Tested. No leaks in my system. This will make the 5th day I've been "force carbing"

I also added when kegging 2/3 of the priming sugar recommended for bottling into the keg

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
Also ... Tested. No leaks in my system. This will make the 5th day I've been "force carbing"

I also added when kegging 2/3 of the priming sugar recommended for bottling into the keg
It's not possible that at 40 degrees (fridge temps) and at 20 psi for days and days that it's not carbed. You either have a leak in the kegs/line/regulator, or your regulator is incorrect/broken. It's not possible to force gas into solution and have it not carb up. Something is very wrong.

Edit- UNLESS, somehow the gas line was disconnected during this time?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Crap!!!

I purchased all new equipment and as far as I can tell everything is ok. I hate this because I can't very well go to the brew store and return my regulator since I have beer that needs to be pressurized? I've always suspected my regulator ... Has a tendency to creep upwards on pressure overnight

I don't know what to do. I just put it back at 30 psi .. Got an all foam glass that rolled into settling like a Guinness being poured into a glass and it tasted "ok." Kinda flat but at least it didn't taste as bad ad it did when served at 12 psi.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It's not possible that at 40 degrees (fridge temps) and at 20 psi for days and days that it's not carbed. You either have a leak in the kegs/line/regulator, or your regulator is incorrect/broken. It's not possible to force gas into solution and have it not carb up. Something is very wrong.

Edit- UNLESS, somehow the gas line was disconnected during this time?
Again, thanks yooper! The gas has never been shut off ... I made sure just now that the valve is wide open

Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275

You would need to keep the beer at room temp to convert the priming sugar. If you have the beer at 40F the yeast aren't going to be active to eat the sugar.

Generally you either prime with sugar. Pressurize keg to seal/purge headspace then let sit at room temp to carb. Or force carb at 40F with co2 from tank omitting the sugar addition

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
You would need to keep the beer at room temp to convert the priming sugar. If you have the beer at 40F the yeast aren't going to be active to eat the sugar.

Generally you either prime with sugar. Pressurize keg to seal/purge headspace then let sit at room temp to carb. Or force carb at 40F with co2 from tank omitting the sugar addition
Good to know ... Figured that if my keg was busted that the priming sugar I added would help out ... Wrong!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Instead of trying to pour, and cranking it up- try this: Set it at 30psi if your beer is at 40 degrees. Wait 24 hours. Then purge and reset to 12 psi. Pour a beer.

Which brings me to the next point. It sounds like you are getting beer out, with some foam? That makes me think that your lines are way too short, and the co2 is getting "knocked out" of suspension on the way to the glass. Try 12' of 3/16" line and I bet that makes a tremendous difference if your regulator is working properly and there are no leaks. It really sounds like you're trying to burst carb a beer fast, and using a 5' or less length of beerline.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Instead of trying to pour, and cranking it up- try this: Set it at 30psi if your beer is at 40 degrees. Wait 24 hours. Then purge and reset to 12 psi. Pour a beer.

Which brings me to the next point. It sounds like you are getting beer out, with some foam? That makes me think that your lines are way too short, and the co2 is getting "knocked out" of suspension on the way to the glass. Try 12' of 3/16" line and I bet that makes a tremendous difference if your regulator is working properly and there are no leaks. It really sounds like you're trying to burst carb a beer fast, and using a 5' or less length of beerline.

I will crank to 30 psi tonight again absolutely ... I will try your test

And

Ding ding ding

You are totally right. I am using a 5' out line that the homebrew supply store sold me. I had no idea that the length of a hose mattered in any way if at all. Idk why they'd sell me such a short hose .. To save money I guess

I'm drinking my pathetic undercarbed/flat beer now. I feel the effects of it, just don't enjoy choking it down this is my last glass ( 2 total ).

I will be getting a longer hose tomorrow

Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
jph2275
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I suppose I don't understand why a short line screws up the carbonation. Interesting ...

Quick Reply