Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging instead of bottling. What's different?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
AR-Josh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kegging instead of bottling. What's different?

So I have a pilsner in primary right now. I want to keg it instead of bottle it. The instructions on the kit say to basically let it ferment out in 5-10 days then bottle for 21 before consuming. So what do I do to keg it?

Can I just let it ferment out then keg it, force carb, and let it sit? Or will force carbing effect the conditioning? What would you recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would suggest a longer primary. 4 weeks is what most ppl on here do. Then keg, and chill. I carb at 10 - 12psi for about to weeks so the beer has some time to condition in the keg.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparsons327 View Post
I would suggest a longer primary. 4 weeks is what most ppl on here do. Then keg, and chill. I carb at 10 - 12psi for about to weeks so the beer has some time to condition in the keg.
At 34F

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
beerrepository
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparsons327
I do a 4 week primary as well. Allows the yeast to clean up after the job is done.

Check out the sticky in the Bottling/Kegging section, there is a good discussion about force carbing techniques.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would primary at least 3 weeks,then put fermenter in fridge to crash cool for a week. this will drop out alot of remaning yeast and help to clear it up.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I don't know if this is obvious or not, but I'll mention it anyway. When you keg, you don't add the priming sugar, you just wrack the beer from the fermenter into the keg. It's good to try to keep your exposure to oxygen as low as possible. After the beer is in the keg, I usually put a blast of Co2 into the discharge side so that the Co2 bubbles up through the beer forcing out any oxygen and then purge once or twice. the kegging process is a LOT faster and easier than bottles and it's probably the BEST upgrade I've made to my process.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's a pilsner so you're going to want to lager it. I would rack it, gas the keg (30 psi) to tighten up the lid seal, then lager it in the keg fridge for awhile (8-10 weeks?). Force carb it when the lagering period is over, and enjoy.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I would primary at least 3 weeks,then put fermenter in fridge to crash cool for a week. this will drop out alot of remaning yeast and help to clear it up.
What would be the difference between doing what you said and just racking it to keg and chilling it? Does chilling it in the primary do something for it that chilling it in the keg won't?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
At 34F
So you're saying when conditioning in the keg for 2 weeks it should be chilled during that time?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkreuze View Post
It's a pilsner so you're going to want to lager it. I would rack it, gas the keg (30 psi) to tighten up the lid seal, then lager it in the keg fridge for awhile (8-10 weeks?). Force carb it when the lagering period is over, and enjoy.
Since it's a pilsner, this is the best answer. Also, give it at least 2-3 weeks of primary fermentation. Primary fermentations temperature depends on the yeast strain, so check the recommended temps for the strain. Lagering temps should be between near freezing and serving temps.

Quick Reply