New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging Dry-Hopped Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
NEDJARRETT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging Dry-Hopped Brew

I am new to home brewing. This is my sixth batch. I have prepared the "Hop Bomb" kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. The recipe called for 5 ounces of various hops to be added to the secondary fermenter. My question is, What's the best way to keep the hop sediment out of my keg when I am siphoning it in? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Do a good job of watching as you siphon the brew. If the hops are in pellet form, it should be pretty easy. If whole hops, you might want to cover the end of the racking cane with something to help keep the hops out of it (you have several options, most of them posted in threads already).

I dry hop in keg, which (IMO) gives a much better result. Not only does it give the hop flavor/aroma I desire, it also keeps it stable for the entire keg. I simply put the [whole] hops into a nylon hop bag (sanitized of course) then place that into the keg right before it goes into my brew fridge for chilling and carbonating. The flavor/aroma from the dry hopping (this way) remains for the entire keg. It doesn't go 'bad' in there if it takes me more than a week (or two) to finish the keg off. I've had whole hops in the chilled keg for 4-6 weeks and the brew was great for the entire time. Sure, you could remove the hop bag after a few weeks, if you wish, but you don't have to.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

My friend has a keg lid with a hook for dry hopping. He removes the bag from the beer after drinking about 20% of it.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
tifosichris
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
My friend has a keg lid with a hook for dry hopping. He removes the bag from the beer after drinking about 20% of it.
Thats an awesome idea

Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The magic trick is that he doesn't remove it by opening the lid.

Quick Reply