Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > kegging cost question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default kegging cost question

OK I have decided I want to set up a 2 or 3 tap kegerator here at home. starting from scratch what kind of cash outlay am I looking at? I am TOTALLY clueless.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

depends on how well you search the net and craigslist. If you're starting with a fridge you already own or buying a new one..

I'll assume you already own one.

Shanks & Faucet assemblies (3) - $100
Kegs Used (3) - $75-100
Ball/Pin-lock fittiings for kegs - $35
5lb CO2 Tank new aluminum - $60+10 to fill. I actually have a place in town that fills for $5, so check around.
Gas and Beer Lines - $30

This is all estimates going on prices I have found in the past. The is all brand new equipment aside from the kegs. You could probably shop around craisglist or ebay and find better deals. I'd also suggest a bigger CO2 tank than 5lbs if you're going to be running 3 kegs.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
depends on how well you search the net and craigslist. If you're starting with a fridge you already own or buying a new one..

Kegs Used (3) - $75-100
5lb CO2 Tank new aluminum - $60+10 to fill. I actually have a place in town that fills for $5, so check around.
Gas and Beer Lines - $30

This is all estimates going on prices I have found in the past. The is all brand new equipment aside from the kegs. You could probably shop around craisglist or ebay and find better deals. I'd also suggest a bigger CO2 tank than 5lbs if you're going to be running 3 kegs.
thanks....I have a buddy that owns a bar.. he said he had a SIX TAP TOWER laying around there somewhere that I could just HAVE!!! The bar is old and has 4 floors and every one is stuffed with old restaurant equipment and old bar equipment....Heck I could probably get an entire set up and just switch it to cornys lol.....It seems cheaper than I expected ...might be the next project.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

It can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be

Suthrn gave you some pretty good ballpark numbers. Craigslist can be your friend if you're lucky. In my case, I found two 20 lb CO2 tanks for $80 total, and were each at least half full. Then I found a few kegs on ebay that came out to about $27 each including shipping. I splurged a bit and went for a three body regulator for about $100. Then you obviously have the misc. fittings, tubing, clamps. The only other major expense I had was the chest freezer which ran another $400 or so, but it will hold 6 or 7 kegs. Oh, and I forgot about the temp controller. I can't remember what that was, but I think it was another $50 or so.

For now, I'm not running any fancy tap system and just using picnic taps and have to lift the lid of the freezer to pull a pint. I spent a little too much on all the hardware so I have to wait a bit before getting permanent taps set up. But in your case, if you're already getting some taps for free that isn't much of an issue

Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

Kegs Used (3) - $75-100
Gas and Beer Lines - $30

This sounds about right. With one addition, you will need a refrigerator. There are a lot of choices. From a chest freezer conversion to a refrigerator just for beer. I found a refrigerator with no freezer at Sear for around $400 a few years back. We also use it for sodas.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
OK I have decided I want to set up a 2 or 3 tap kegerator here at home. starting from scratch what kind of cash outlay am I looking at? I am TOTALLY clueless.
One other side note:

When you buy your faucets, spend the extra money and get perlicks if you can afford them. I bought 4 standard faucets when I first built my kegerator and I HATE them. They get sticky all the time and I feel like they're going to break when I try to pull a pint after not using them for a few days.

For an extra $20, you can get a perlick which prevents these problems. I'll be upgrading soon when I get my bar finished.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply