Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging or bottling?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
Apatride
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ouch!! Thanks for the info Golddiggie. I was hoping it would be a good way to save some space without having to buy a complex CO2 setup (I live in a small apartment). Looks like I m gonna have to talk to the manager of my local pub to get some pint bottles... Too bad, I also liked the idea of heading to a party with a mini keg or two rather than lots of bottles I ll probably never see again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I used to live in a small apartment (about 500 sq feet, one bedroom) and still managed to set up for kegging. It's really more a matter of how you set the place up.

You can still bottle from keg/tap, so you don't need to be 100% in either mode.

I went and picked up the fridge I use, from Sears, and modified it for holding 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. I run the CO2 through the sides of the fridge, via gas bulkheads, to give me more room for kegs. Plus, it allows me to use larger CO2 tanks. IF you have room in the kitchen, you could do the same thing. The fridge I picked up was less than the kegorators you see being sold. Even after adding the taps through the door. Plus, I have enough room in the freezer (top section) for all my hops. This allows me to have just food in the freezer that's part of the main fridge. Of course, some hops might spill over into that freezer at some point.

Towards the time when I was getting ready to move, I went and got a storage unit for some stuff. That helped out more than a little bit, for me. Now that I'm in a 2 bed, 1.5 bath house (renting it) with a basement, I'm much, much happier. I easily have enough room for all my stuff, including brewing gear/supplies.

IMO/IME, you're better off saving your money, that you would have spent on the 5L mini keg setup and putting that towards a real keg setup.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

@golddiggie do you have a pic of your set you got?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #34
Jessmosis
Recipes 

I've recently looked into Kegging and it looks a lot easier than bottling but it's definitely more expensive to start up. I went ahead and got bottles to start brewing with because I wasn't sure if I would continue doing this. Plus if I were to invest in a keg later on down the road, it'd be nice to still have the bottles laying around to take beer to friends houses and such, I don't think lugging around a keg would be much fun.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
@golddiggie do you have a pic of your set you got?
I have some in my gallery already. If you want specific items, either post or PM me and I'll do what I can.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #36
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry... i'm pulling newbies all over by not searching and not looking!

Quick Reply