Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging or bottling?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock947 View Post
Well, I agree with everybody here that says that kegging is easier but I prefer bottling for a couple of reasons. 1. Money...bottling really costs next to nothing compared to kegging. Iowa has a bottle deposit so I just went to the local grocery store and paid for the deposit and I had all the bottles I wanted for .05 each. Granted I had to clean them but I figured my time was cheap. 2. Space...when I first started to home brew, I was living in a small house with a wife and two small kids so space was at a premium and a couple cases of bottles really doesn't take much space at all. Transportation...my wife and I seemed to spend a lot of our socializing at other people's houses so it was easy to take a sixer to someone's house in small cooler. Also, my other passion is fishing and nothing beats fishing while drinking a home brew...it just hits the spot but its tough to take a keg and ice bucket on my small fishing boat...I suppose I could leave the wife at home...shhh...don't tell her that

Those are just a few quick things I thought of...
For a good many of us, bottles would take up more space then kegs do.

Then there's not being able to drink bottle carbonated beer direct from the bottle (unless you like drinking the trub, or the style has you drink that).

You can bottle from keg/tap rather easily when you want to take just a few with you (a 6 or 12 pack). I've done it and continue to do it in fact.

My brew fridge takes up little space. It's a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool fridge (freezer top, which has all my hops in it). I have three taps through the door, and four 3 gallon kegs inside.

As for the cost aspect. My time is NOT cheap. I'd rather spend a fraction of the amount of time it takes to bottle a batch with kegging.

Also, I can transfer my finished beer from my fermenter/aging vessel into the serving kegs without moving them at all. Since I'm fermenting in the basement, and store most of my brewing gear down there too, it's even easier. No more lugging 6.5-7 gallons of finished beer, in fermenter, up stairs, then onto a table in order to transfer to a bottling bucket (hope you got the seal tight on the spigot) and such.

BTW, with using 3 gallon corny kegs, transporting is really easy. I'm also working on making a portable kegorator to use later. That is, if I go someplace where there's enough people that will drink, and enjoy, my homebrew to have it make sense. Otherwise, I can simply fill a few bottles to bring for me, and a few others, to enjoy.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #22
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
For a good many of us, bottles would take up more space then kegs do.

Then there's not being able to drink bottle carbonated beer direct from the bottle (unless you like drinking the trub, or the style has you drink that).

You can bottle from keg/tap rather easily when you want to take just a few with you (a 6 or 12 pack). I've done it and continue to do it in fact.

My brew fridge takes up little space. It's a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool fridge (freezer top, which has all my hops in it). I have three taps through the door, and four 3 gallon kegs inside.

As for the cost aspect. My time is NOT cheap. I'd rather spend a fraction of the amount of time it takes to bottle a batch with kegging.

Also, I can transfer my finished beer from my fermenter/aging vessel into the serving kegs without moving them at all. Since I'm fermenting in the basement, and store most of my brewing gear down there too, it's even easier. No more lugging 6.5-7 gallons of finished beer, in fermenter, up stairs, then onto a table in order to transfer to a bottling bucket (hope you got the seal tight on the spigot) and such.

BTW, with using 3 gallon corny kegs, transporting is really easy. I'm also working on making a portable kegorator to use later. That is, if I go someplace where there's enough people that will drink, and enjoy, my homebrew to have it make sense. Otherwise, I can simply fill a few bottles to bring for me, and a few others, to enjoy.
All valid points...all I want to do is give the OP my experience and opinions about kegging vs bottling. I'm guessing you didn't purchase all of your kegging equipment at once so...the OP says he has some beer ready to rack right now and I believe bottling can be valid option for their first batch.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1107 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

I only bottle and the wife will not approve me moving to kegs. Being completely honest, the bottling is the only part I do not enjoy and I dream of the day I just have one shiny metal bottle to fill...

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I only bottle and the wife will not approve me moving to kegs. Being completely honest, the bottling is the only part I do not enjoy and I dream of the day I just have one shiny metal bottle to fill...
Start leaving the bottles on the kitchen counter after you pour and rinse until there are many taking up space. After appearing lazy for a while wife will eventually start to complain and then you can tell here there is a excellent solution to the problem.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1107 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post
Start leaving the bottles on the kitchen counter after you pour and rinse until there are many taking up space. After appearing lazy for a while wife will eventually start to complain and then you can tell here there is a excellent solution to the problem.
I have done this as well as completely fill a closet with filled bottles, she complains but still won't give in!! Maybe I will steal her Coach and Prada purses and hold them ransom until she gives in....

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I have done this as well as completely fill a closet with filled bottles, she complains but still won't give in!! Maybe I will steal her Coach and Prada purses and hold them ransom until she gives in....
With what those purses cost (from what I hear) you could have gotten several kegs AND the rest of the hardware needed to use them (including a keezer, CO2 setup, etc.). You could point out that her purses are only for her while your brews are for many to enjoy. Plus, with kegging you would have more time to spend with her since you won't be bottling. Transferring to a single keg is far faster than the entire bottling process.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #27
Apatride
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was asking myself a similar question so I hope you won't mind if I add this option but what about the 5L (a bit more than a gallon) mini-kegs? Any downsides on these ones that I should be aware of?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
I was asking myself a similar question so I hope you won't mind if I add this option but what about the 5L (a bit more than a gallon) mini-kegs? Any downsides on these ones that I should be aware of?
IME, those suck donkey balls (and more). Hard to clean, CO2 systems for them equally pitiful (unless you go over the top and make up your own rig), and they cannot withstand the same pressures as real kegs. I used a set for part of two batches before setting them aside and never using them again. I since sold them to another local homebrewer that was interested in the setup. Took a heavy loss on them, but at least I didn't need to move them.

Fermenting
K1:
BigRock947 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
BigRock947

Recipes 

@OClairBrew....I think getting your keg system falls under the ask for forgiveness instead of permission clause

Cheers,

Mark

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
BigRock947

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IME, those suck donkey balls (and more). Hard to clean, CO2 systems for them equally pitiful (unless you go over the top and make up your own rig), and they cannot withstand the same pressures as real kegs. I used a set for part of two batches before setting them aside and never using them again. I since sold them to another local homebrewer that was interested in the setup. Took a heavy loss on them, but at least I didn't need to move them.
Agree Golddiggie...I'd rather stick to bottling my beer over using the mini kegs

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply