Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegged first homebrew, initial impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
res313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kegged first homebrew, initial impressions.

I just finished kegging my first 5 gallon extract batch. It was the AHS Bavarian Hefewiezen with LME, and white labs liquid yeast.

Throughout the entire process I strictly adhered to the instructions from the initial grain steeping to the time i put it in the primary. Today was day 16 in the primary and I kegged into a five gallon corny.

I drew a sample from the last bit that wouldn't fit in the keg, and I am trying to be optimistic about the beer I created but it is just not good. Obviously it has not carbed yet so the mouth feel is "watery" as my wife put it. I'm hoping the taste that I got was just due to excess yeast from the bottom of the primary that the siphon was picking up as well as it just being young. The thing that scares me about the yeast is that this is a wheat beer so it should have some yeast suspended in it when it pours.

I added 1/2 a cup of priming sugar and will let it naturally carb for 2+ weeks. Hopefully by the time it is carbed it has lost the flavor I tasted today.

The smell was amazing so that is what is keeping me hopeful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
res313
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After doing some more reading I believe I may have pitched at too high a temp. The wort was at about 75*.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't sweat it, RDWHAHB

Wait until it is ready to drink

Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
res313
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I am not sweating it, I want to be able to drink it young like many advise for a hefe, but if I have to let it sit for a bit no biggie.

My first batch so I don't have any HB to drink, instead drinking a local craft beer.

Quick Reply