Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegerator or Keezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kegerator or Keezer?

I need one or the other to serve my Corney's from. Is there a current model fridge that will hold 2 or 3 Ball Locks? What is the word on the small freezer's? I know they have a hinged top, but is that a plus or minus? I found one (freezer) at Lowes that looked like it would hold 3 kegs and a tank, for 168.00. Just not sure on the hinged top.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2114 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

If you are going to want to go with more than 2 kegs, then I suggest either an old upright, or better yet, a small chest freezer. You can easily modify the freezer to work, and the only thing you'd need to use it is a temp controller.

Decide if you want the taps on the front (collar), or a tower on top. Advantages to both. With collar, you need to build a collar. With tower, you might not be able to open the freezer without it hitting the wall behind. Personally, I'd go with collar, even though I prefer the look of the tower. I think a frezer would be nice in that you dont' generally have to move one keg to work with another like you might with a fridge. Plus, routing the lines would likely be a bit easier too.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey RonRock,

You will probably get some pretty good info in the keg/bottling forum.

Here is the link, Bottling/Kegging - Home Brew Forums

I think alot has to do with the space you have to put either a Kegerator or Keezer. I have a freezer and love it!!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A keezer wil be much more energy efficient albeit with an additional, initial up-front cost for the thermostat. The insulation tends to be thicker than a fridge, and you don't lose a good portion of your cooled air when lifting the lid.

On the other hand, you do have to lift full kegs up and over the edge of the keezer.

Quick Reply