Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegerator Advice/Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
boykin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kegerator Advice/Help

So I have just set up my first kegerator! I was surprised at how easy it was, and I have checked my system many times. It is working adequately. I say adequately because I believe there is room for improvement.

My current settings are 5 psi and I believe what my two problems in my system is one my temperature in my fridge could be a little coolder, however it is at minimum 40 and sometimes colder, I have not gotten a true temperature due to faulty temperature gauges and thermometers, however I left 2 glasses of water overnight and a thin layer of ice was on the top of the cups, leading me to believe it is probably adequately cold although can improve a little. My second problem I believe is with resistance, my faucet/shank and keg coupler that attaches to the keg are at about the same level maybe an inch difference. I have a standard 5 ft of line.

I am a noob, but I kind of think I need a little more line to increase my resistance, I would like to have my psi a little higher to get a better flow, I would also like my beer to be a little colder and have heard nothing good about drilling a small hole or decent size hole form freezer to fridge.

Any more information needed to help let me know, can also upload pictures of my set up if it would help.

Thanks in advance and sorry so long,

boykin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Are you using an aftermarket controller or the factory one? I use STC-1000's. They are cheap, easy to install, and work great.

I have 5 ft lines and can dispense up to 8 or 9 psi before it gets too foamy. Have you tried increasing the pressure?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Colder than 40?? If glasses are icing over, then its already too cold. The last thing you want to deal with is keg freezing issues.

Plus mid 40's is where you want most beers, some styles even warmer.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
boykin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No I not using an aftermarket controller. And I am currently drinking yeungling (wanted something easy to start).

As for temperature goes I have not had freezing problems, and I was told 36-40 degrees with anything over 40 causing problems.

What does the aftermarket controller do?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
boykin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

And yes I have increased the preasure it is too much foam, except early in the morning I am able to run 8-10 because over night my fridge gets a few degrees colder but I soon need to decrease back to the 5 psi. It's a slow pour about 8 seconds, but it has a nice 1 inch head and is cold.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykin View Post
No I not using an aftermarket controller. And I am currently drinking yeungling (wanted something easy to start).
You would benefit from an aftermarket controller.

Quote:
As for temperature goes I have not had freezing problems, and I was told 36-40 degrees with anything over 40 causing problems.
If water is icing over, then you just haven't had freezing problems yet. If you freeze a keg of beer you're going to destroy the keg, ruin the beer, and make an enormous mess inside your keezer.

Whoever told you anything over 40 degrees will cause problems probably doesn't know what they're talking about. Mine is set for about 42.

Quote:
What does the aftermarket controller do?
It allows you to control the temperature with a much finer precision and accuracy than the one the freezer came with.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
one-L
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also, if you keep a keg at 5 psi for extended periods of time, its eventually going to go flat. Going with a longer line is probably going to be your best bet to keep the keg at carb pressures but still get a drinkable pour. Or you could just cut the regulator up and down as needed (down for serving, back up after), but ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
boykin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ill work on that after market temperature regulator, however it's not a keezer it's a kegerator, I'm new but I believe the difference is one is a freezer and ones a fridge? I think, anyway on the longer line, people usually go with a 10 foot line, is that correct? From what I heard although ten is a little long, it usually helps keep enough drag to reduce foaming issues.

Lastly, what is a minimum psi needed to keep my beer from going flat?

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
boykin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is my set up if the pics worked.

image-49041606.jpg   image-3886762025.jpg   image-3907018804.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Use this chart to determine what pressure you need at a given temp to maintain a given carb level. At 40 deg you'll probably want something in the 10-12 psi range which would be 2.3-2.5 volumes CO2. I keep my system at 41-42 deg/14 psi as I prefer to be around 2.6 vols, and I need 10 ft lines to balance.

Quick Reply