Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Keg type????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
spazus_maximus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg type????

Hello all. I just made my first batch of homebrew & am now looking at kegging options....something i know nothing about! I got a small keg from work & am wondering if i can use this for my homebrews????Any advice would be helpful...

[IMG][/IMG]

A non paying member

Spazus Maximus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

You would have to install standard plugs, either pin lock or ball lock. Whether or not either of these would screw into the existing holes can only be determined by experimentation. As new plugs are relatively expensive compared to used cornie kegs, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you get a few cornies AND the holes check out, you could buy plugs without worrying.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
spazus_maximus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
You would have to install standard plugs, either pin lock or ball lock. Whether or not either of these would screw into the existing holes can only be determined by experimentation. As new plugs are relatively expensive compared to used cornie kegs, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you get a few cornies AND the holes check out, you could buy plugs without worrying.
Thanks for the help...I think im going to pass on using this one.....I have no idea what it was used for in the past & im not sure if its coated.....I think ill just buy a kit.....again thanks

A non paying member

Spazus Maximus

Old 11-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is just an industrial/laboratory version of the "Corny" kegs we are all familar with. The place I used to work at had cylinders just like that in their lab that were used for deionized water.

Unfortunately, the one in the picture appears to only have NPT bungs in the top which will not work for kegging. I doubt that it's coated, but it does appear to have a good passivated finish on the outside like it should, but the lid is strangley large. Besides, if you don't know what was in it, it's not safe to use for food-grade storage.

Quick Reply