New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Keg Dregs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Caleb1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keg Dregs

I work at a beer distributor and I see all the kegs that come back from bars and such. I got back a keg of Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere back today and had an idea. There was still a little on the bottom of the keg and hooked up a party tap to it and let it spit and bubble into a jar to get what I could get off the bottom. After it settled out I was left with this.

It looks like yeast and I know it's fresh (kegged in September, delivered to the bar last week) My question is how do i hold it for a few weeks till I brew up my next batch. Will it be ok just as it is in the back of the fridge? I'm planning on building a starter a few days before the brew just to be sure it's still good. I'll also be using some other yeast as well to be sure it starts off strong, it will probably be a basic pale ale with the JP dregs providing the bugs. Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another option: I have 2 fresh sours in primary right now, a Saison (1 month), and a brown (2 weeks). I could just dump half into each and add to the bugs already in those beers?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It'll be fine in the fridge, or most likely even at room temperature. I tend to avoid mixed-microbe starters, so I'd just pitch some healthy ale yeast along with that and let it go. You could certainly add some it to established sours as well, I'm often dumping bottle dregs into random carboys. Jolly Pumpkin microbes tend to be very active/quick, I've had great luck with them.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it settled down to this, i'll be adding it to a basic pale recipe on friday. Thanks for the tips Oldsock

Quick Reply