The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Keg/Brew Pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
mongrell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Keg/Brew Pot

I'm a poor little homebrewing college student and I'm trying to up my batch size and go all grain. So I have a few questions about creating/buying a larger brewpot.

I've heard of people somehow cutting of the top of a keg (<--how would I do that?) and proping it above a stand alone propane heater (<--where can I buy one cheep?) and using it as a brew kettle.

Is that a good method? Is it cheaper to just go with a huge stainless steel stove top brew pot? Are there kegs that might not work, too old or something?

Anyone done this successfully have any advice? Some pains or hastles I might not be thinking of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The best bet is to buy a heavy duty aluminum stock pot drill a hole in it and attach a weldless spigot.

Full size kegs require an angle grinder at a minimum to cut the top, and some type of jig if you want a nice round hole. Plus legally acquiring a full size keg for under 100 bucks is difficult.

Propane burners can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sportmans Warehouse just to name a few. You can pick one up for under 50 dollars.

An aluminum brewpot and weldless fitting can be put together for under 100 dollars if you shop around for the best deal.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrell
I'm a poor little homebrewing college student and I'm trying to up my batch size and go all grain. So I have a few questions about creating/buying a larger brewpot.

I've heard of people somehow cutting of the top of a keg (<--how would I do that?) and proping it above a stand alone propane heater (<--where can I buy one cheep?) and using it as a brew kettle.

Is that a good method? Is it cheaper to just go with a huge stainless steel stove top brew pot? Are there kegs that might not work, too old or something?

Anyone done this successfully have any advice? Some pains or hastles I might not be thinking of?
Checkout Bobby M's Youtube videos, it will should you how to convert a keg. The fittings are expensive though.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

McKBrew nailed it. Go find a kettle that's at least 7 gallons. This will allow you to do full boils for 5 gallon batches.

I guess you wouldn't *have* to have a spigot attached, you could always use a siphon after you've cooled your wort, but installing a spigot is well worth the investment.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Homebrewtalk Wiki, beer, brewing equipment.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
mongrell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I already have the keg is why I want to try this, so what about the cutting the entire top off, rather than just a hole. Is that easier/ possible? Also (dumb question) but what special do you need to cut through metal?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Well I already have the keg is why I want to try this, so what about the cutting the entire top off, rather than just a hole. Is that easier/ possible? Also (dumb question) but what special do you need to cut through metal?
Given the questions, I'd suggest you find a welding shop or a body shop with a plasma cutter, and pay them to do it. I'm not trying to put you down, but it sounds like you lack experience, and getting a good cut on a keg can be difficult.

IBPhotos of Biermuncher's junk.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Ok, I'll try this again.

Clicky http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Keggle

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Not sure, but a turkey fryer might work for you

Quote:

I'm not sure the volume you're looking for, but I just picked up a Bayou Classic turkey fryer that comes with a 30qt aluminum kettle, and a big a$$ propane burner with a sturdy metal stand. This was just $37.89 on sale at Home Depot, and I've heard people say good things about them. You may need to break down and get a larger 10gal Stainless pot, and in that case they also have a 150k propane burner only for about $45. Again, I've not done whole grain yet but this would be a VERY cheap way to go.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
mongrell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear bad things about aluminum for a kettle, that the taste can sometimes be affected

Quick Reply