Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > keeping a log?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default keeping a log?

I'm just starting out, and I'd like to keep logs to know what I did if things go well, but also to help when they go not so well. Do you keep logs? What are the things you log, and why? Was there ever a time that it really came in handy?

Also, just out of curiosity, where do you keep your logs? Notebook? Three-ring binder? Store-bought logbook like from basicbrewing.com? The computer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I've always kept a folder with the recipes and notes and noted what I did. I used to do it on my computer but found that it was more convenient to keep the folder handy. I then grab it when I check the sg of a wine, or add something like oak to a wine. The dates and results are written in. It's not really a log though- I should get more organized than I am. The beer recipes I've done more than once have had alot less notes and a year later I'm scratching my head trying to remember what I did differently. I need to get better at taking those notes!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Keeping a log is a very good habit. I keep all my notes in Beersmith. It has a free trial but its definitely worth buying for life...

www.beersmith.com

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I think most brewers do. In all the manners you listed. It's a great reference point.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I keep a tablet near me while brewing, and note ingredients, amounts, temp. S.G. times, etc.

Then when I'm done brewing, I take my notes and type them up a log on my computer in Works. I start with the recipe, IBUs, etc. Then a log of everything I did on what day. It's kind of nice because you can make notes in the log to remind you of what you want to do when. Then after you do it, if it's not something you want to keep in the log, you can just delete that note.

Also it's handy to have them on the comp-u-tator for quick reference when I'm discussing them on the net, or researching my next on the net.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I great at taking notes on brew days, Im horrible at rewriting them someplace to keep them organized.

Last edited by Joker; 01-04-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
Keeping a log is a very good habit. I keep all my notes in Beersmith. It has a free trial but its definitely worth buying for life...

www.beersmith.com
Ya, me too. Beersmith has an "export to brew log" feature so you can brew the same beer again, maybe with slight changes, and have a record of every brew. I can't recommend brewsmith enough. It's a great program all around.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep notes fairly diligently as most beer parameters can only be fine-tuned by trying over and over. I used to use a note book until I found that I had a hard time finding all the important information at a glance. The notes would be rather un-organized. Since a computer doesn't work work me for keeping notes (It's not always handy when I need to jott down something) I started developing forms for my notes. one for the recipe, one for mashing/boiling, one for fermentation and the last one for misc notes. I keep them in a binder and also started creating tabled to look up things like attenuation or convert/temperature corect a hydometer reading.

I planned to updated them and make an english version, but I don't know how to add the PDF file to the Wiki or to my attachements. The file is to large to be used as an attachement to this post.

Kai

Last edited by Kaiser; 01-04-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have BeerSmith, but I still keep notes in a Composition Book. It's my log book and has every beer in it since I started back brewing over a year ago.

It works great and does not suffer from accidental deletions, bad sectors, or the Blue Screen of Death.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I also use Beersmith but print each brew sheet and take notes as I am brewing. Sometimes I even remember to go back to the recipe in Beersmith and put my notes in. Mostly, though, I have my notebook with the brew sheet tucked into it and write my notes on the sheet itself (whether I hit target gravities, volumes, PITA things that I need to watch out for next time, etc.). I keep extra notes on yeast takeoff, progress of the beer, bottling yield and tasting comments on the other pages of the notebook.

With that said, if I didn't use Beersmith I would definitely use the brewing log sheets from Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing:" PFD Brewing Log Sheet.

The folks at www.basicbrewing.com have developed a very nice Brewers Logbook that definitely deserves a closer look. I may have to pick one of those up.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply