Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Keeping control of temperature during secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
micfiygd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keeping control of temperature during secondary?

So for my primary fermentation I have my bucket it a swamp cooler which is keeping it at a nice 65 degrees. I'm about to transfer half of it into a secondary and add some coffee to it and see what it does.

Since I don't have enough room for the carboy and bucket in the cooler, would it be bad if the secondary got a little warmer once primary is done?

Basically I need to know how important is temperature control during conditioning compared to fermentation.

Note: I don't mean that it will get hot, but it will rise about 10-12 degrees if I take it out of the cooler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

As long as we're not talking in the 90's or more, it will be fine. Temp control is really only crucial during the initial few days of fermentation. I don't worry after the first week in primary.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depending on how long you've had the beer in the fermenter, you might consider just bottling the other half.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
codyjp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
As long as we're not talking in the 90's or more, it will be fine. Temp control is really only crucial during the initial few days of fermentation. I don't worry after the first week in primary.
That's good to hear. I've got a mini fridge for my 5 gallon buckets and another one that is dead, I've been moving week old batches into the dead fridge and temps are holding but not as exactly as I'd like.

Quick Reply