New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Keeping beer from going flat in a growler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
juandela
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keeping beer from going flat in a growler.

hey all,

great forum. i've used these almighty pages for inspiration as i slowly amass my brewing empire but rarely posted.

i've got a question..... for the perfect holiday gift for my father i'm looking for a way to extend his growler beer's carbonation. at 71 he loves bringing a growler home from one of southwest michigan's brewpubs but it almost always goes flat before he can finish it (a problem i don't have. ).

i had seen the 2-liter flip top growler at northern brewer and i'm curious about the hand-squeeze tapping device that comes with it. while searching for answers here i noticed someone suggested mrbeer.com for an even better price.

i'm sure you know what i'm talking about but here are the links:
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/48/nm/2_Liter_Classic_Growler
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/49/nm/Growler_Tapping_Device

my questions are these....

how long will beer stay carbonated in this combination device? i'm assuming part of the allure is the draft effect but will it keep beer from going flat for a few days while my pops' liver moderates his greatness?

i also read that there is an issue with the introduction of O2 in the beer but if he's going to drink it in a couple days or week, is that really an issue?

does anyone know how tall this combination is? will it stand up in most fridges?

thank you in advance for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You hit the jackpot. I'm the one who posted on NorthernBrewer.com about that tapper.

The growler itself won't help with keeping your beer carbonated, but the addition of the tap means you don't have to break the seal on the top everytime you need a beer. This is certainly a plus. Mine stays good for about two days before I start to notice it's going flat.

As for oxydation from introducing air into the beer... unless you plan on leaving beer in the growler for a week or two, you probably won't notice it. By that time, it'll be flat anyways. So no...oxygen won't be a factor.

Mine fits in my fridge, but I had to adjust the shelving a bit. I just took out the shelve that I usually put my beer on. The growler by itself is 13" high, and I believe the tap adds an additional 4-5" onto that. A bigger fridge shouldn't have a problem fitting this...I've still got an 18cuft.

I mainly use mine for taking my kegged beer to partys and homebrew meetings. I figure the walk out to the garage to fill my glass will work off 1/100th of the 200+ calorie beers I'm drinking.

Another HERMS rig...
MicahB Likes This 
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

There isn't any way to maintain carbonation as the head space increases, except adding CO2 at pressure. I don't know of any growler that has provisions for CO2. His best bet is to decant half of it into a 1L PET bottle and store that in the fridge.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I'm going to look at mine a little more closely and see if I can attach a co2 injector to it. If I figure something out, I'll post a how-to.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I'm going to look at mine a little more closely and see if I can attach a co2 injector to it. If I figure something out, I'll post a how-to.
I'd recommend that you do not try to pressurize a growler.
They are not designed to be pressurized and you risk injury and a certain mess if one explodes.

Ed

Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I'd recommend that you do not try to pressurize a growler.
They are not designed to be pressurized and you risk injury and a certain mess if one explodes.

Ed
I don't think this is a true statement. I've read up on the German growlers that I own (flip-tops) and they're pressure rated to 58psi. This is well above what I will be pressurizing to. You may be right when referring to the cheap growlers that most breweries sell.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=895230&Categ ory_Code=GRWL

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They can hold pressure, but I wouldn't try to carbonate in them. Many places that sell growlers already filled at offsite locations counter pressure fill them.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
They can hold pressure, but I wouldn't try to carbonate in them. Many places that sell growlers already filled at offsite locations counter pressure fill them.
Counter pressure filling does not pressurize a bottle/growler. And if you are thinking of using a co2 charger like those that take the cartridges, you really have no way to regulate how much pressure you are applying. Just a little to much priming sugar and yeast turns standard bottles (that hold carbonated beer) into "Bottle Bombs".

The one in the link from Suthrncomfrt1884, certainly suggests it would withstand pressure, but I still would not recommend you modify the growler to pressurize it... Replacing the top would be modifying. It says it will "contain even highly carbonated Belgian beers", nothing about pressurizing it.

I'm really not trying to be an idiot, and YOU may get away with it but I still stand by the statement that pressurize glass has the potential for serious damage.

Ed

Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
Counter pressure filling does not pressurize a bottle/growler. And if you are thinking of using a co2 charger like those that take the cartridges, you really have no way to regulate how much pressure you are applying. Just a little to much priming sugar and yeast turns standard bottles (that hold carbonated beer) into "Bottle Bombs".

The one in the link from Suthrncomfrt1884, certainly suggests it would withstand pressure, but I still would not recommend you modify the growler to pressurize it... Replacing the top would be modifying. It says it will "contain even highly carbonated Belgian beers", nothing about pressurizing it.

I'm really not trying to be an idiot, and YOU may get away with it but I still stand by the statement that pressurize glass has the potential for serious damage.

Ed
Actually counter pressure filling does pressurize the container, thats why its called "counter pressure filling"

Quick Reply