Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Justed Racked my first brew and appear to be low 1/2-1 gallon in 5 gallon carboy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Brandow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Justed Racked my first brew and appear to be low 1/2-1 gallon in 5 gallon carboy.

I racked my brew to my secondary fermenter this evening (10 days in the primary) and it appears I have about 4-4.5 gallons of brew in my secondary 5 gallon carboy. I'm unsure as to whether this poses too high of a risk of oxidizing my brew resulting in a cardboard taste that I've read about. I was pondering whether to bottle sooner than later, Monday being the soonest available time.

I'm thinking I may not have added enough liquid after the initial boil but I do also remember leaving behind more liquid than I anticipated due to all the waste in the boil. I was pouring the boil through a funnel into the primary fermenter carboy and am now also wondering if I should have siphoned that instead. Thanks for reading, I feel like a worried father waiting for my wife to give birth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Bikerbrewgal
Recipes 

I have the same question. I transferred to secondary after 12 days in primary. I knew I'd lose some volume. The level is just below where the glass carboy curves up to the spout. I immediately airlocked it and plan on letting it sit for 1 wk. till I keg it. I think I'll be okay, but know better next batch to add a tad more than 5 gallons.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You're fine. Your beer shuld offgas a little during transfer and you'll have a layer of Co2 on top.

I'd be more concerned about your timing. Recent general consensus has it that secondaries aren't neccessary. What type of brew (recipe), what was the OG and what SG were you at?

Not that you can't be done in ten days, but it seems a tad rushed.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by JetSmooth; 07-15-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: sum'in to add

Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

+2 to JetSmooth.

Since my third batch I've been using long primaries with no secondaries. I do occasionally ravk to AGE a brew on something that works best off the yeast. But I only do that once I'm 100% sure the brew is otherwise done.

Without knowing at least the brew type, OG and SG at racking (recipe would help) we cannot say if the brew was really ready to be racked. 10 days, IMO/IME is at least 18 days too soon.

Oh, and you can expect to lose more volume when you rack again. Which is another reason to not rack unless you must.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Oh, and you can expect to lose more volume when you rack again. Which is another reason to not rack unless you must.
Yeah. That's a good point. Every time you monkey with. . . I mean "transfer". . . your beer, you're going to lose a little. There are things you can do like fashion dip tubes to drain nearly everything out of a vessel or overcopmensate your volume at the start of your recipe.

Don't worry about it, you'll get your system figured in a few brews and you should be able to hit your volume pretty consistently.

Congrats on the first brew! It'll turn out fine!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Bikerbrewgal
Recipes 

I've been back and forth on the secondary debate. there is so much talk on this issue from various websites that it was driving me crazy! Do it, don't do it... etc.. Was going to let her sit in primary for 3 wks, then keg, but I needed to free up my primary for my next batch so a guy at my local brewery supply joint (Adventures in Homebrewing) suggested I do a secondary and didn't seem concerned that it's only been in primary for 12 days. The beer looked, smelled, and tasted pretty darn good (it's a red) so I'm happy thus far... we'll see how it is after the kegging/carbonation.

Next batch (Two Hearted IPA clone) I will let sit in primary for 4 wks, then go straight to keg.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Get more primaries. I have four SS ones. I also have four SS vessels that can be either for primary or aging. Having enough to let a batch progress as IT needs is priceless. I've not had to delay a brew day, yet because I don't have a free fermenter/primary.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

And 5 gallon glass carbouys are more than that, probably closer to 5.5 gallons if you fill them to the very top. If you are just eyeballing it, I'm sure you are close to the 5 gallons than you think. I have one glass carbout that is "supposed" to be 5 gallons, and I'm sure I can get over 6 gallons into it.

Quick Reply