HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just tried first homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default just tried first homebrew

ok, so i tried my first batch. its coopers real ale. the picture showed a real light colored beer. this is a link to it.

it came out much darker

i am not sure if this is a bad thing or not.

it doesnt taste bad, but i am not sure what i am supposed to be comparing it to. the finish is supposed to be moderately bitter. its a pertty bitter finish. i am wondering if the fermentation temps have something to do with this. i used the yeast that came with the can. it fermented at 73 for 2 weeks. its been in the keg for 2 weeks. now chilled and i am drinking it.

should i pull it out for a couple weeks to keep conditioning for a week or so? will it getting warm affect the taste once its been chilled?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Extract will come out darker.

If you used dextrose instead of malt, it will affect the taste.

I usually give my beer a month to age before drinking. Actually they taste even better after two months.

Keep brewing and you will be surprised what you come up with.

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wouldn't be concerned about the darker color at all. Those photos always so perfect glasses of beer, but generally, extract beers come out on the dark side. Until you make the jump to all-grain brewing, expect your beers to be dark or darker.

As for the bitterness, I really don't think aging will make much difference on that. Bitterness doesn't really go away in my experience. Hoppiness will, but not bitterness. Perhaps your idea of moderately bitter is less than what the makers of the recipe think. Your fermentation temperature was on the high end, but not unacceptably so. That would affect other aspects of the flavor anyway, not the bitterness. Still, it might grow on your as time passes, especially if you have a few in a row.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
kkngs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first batch was based on the cooper's real ale kit also. I have to say I was disappointed. It came out looking more like a brown ale, with some off flavors. I've found that I can only really tolerate it if I drink it really cold. My friends thought it was ok, but they might just be being nice about it.

I dry hopped it with amarillo, and as I didn't have any temp control at the time, it fermented at about 75-76. I think the color was off because the can of extract had sat on a shelf for too long before my LHBS sold it to me. It was practically black when I poured it in. I might also be tasting some grassy flavors from the dry hopping... With so many things about that batch being questionable, I don't think I can diagnose it further.

The AHS Fat Tire clone kit I just brewed for my second batch is looking much more promising. The ingredients were much fresher, and I have temp control this time. It smelled really good when I racked it yesterday.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

kkngs i think my friends are just being nice too. its not bad. i will drink it, and i think immight like it more than i should because i made it. its much better real cold.

my second kit was a red ale, and it was no darker than the ale i just made. after checking the sg and such while kegging it, it already tastes better than the first batch. i have a third in the fermenter now, and its real dark. my next one is going to be a hefe. i am looking to make a real light color next and try the lighter taste

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's only going to get better! A good thing to do is brew up a clone of a beer that's available like Sierra Nevada PA or Anchor Liberty where there is known IBUs, hops, grains, OG etc; Compare side to side and adjust your procedure. eg, if said commercial beer is 35 IBUS and by your calculations yours is 35 but it is a lot less bitter change your IBU efficiency to reflect that.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sounds like a plan. its funny you bring up sierra. my one friend loves it, and wants me to make the ahs clone of it. i'll give it a shot on his dime.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
tomheff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
ok, so i tried my first batch. its coopers real ale. the picture showed a real light colored beer. this is a link to it.

it came out much darker

i am not sure if this is a bad thing or not.

it doesnt taste bad, but i am not sure what i am supposed to be comparing it to. the finish is supposed to be moderately bitter. its a pertty bitter finish. i am wondering if the fermentation temps have something to do with this. i used the yeast that came with the can. it fermented at 73 for 2 weeks. its been in the keg for 2 weeks. now chilled and i am drinking it.

should i pull it out for a couple weeks to keep conditioning for a week or so? will it getting warm affect the taste once its been chilled?
Did you boil the extract? What was the date on the can?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hav learned to stop worrying about color becuase it is never where i want it. But the beer will get muc better with time so let it sit a while more. More of the flavors will come through if you wait a bit

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Grinder12000

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats on Brew #1.

One thing I learned is that you are ALWAYS learning. Don't worry (yet) about what it's SUPPOSE to taste like. Do YOU like it?

My first drinkable brew (#2) was not what I expected but others loved it. Yet I could not wrap my mind around loving it.

Every brew will get better and better and every brew you will say "why didn't I know this little bit of new brew knowledge last time". You ALREADY are gaining knowledge with fermentation temps

For now - just relish in the fact that you achieved a nature miracle and have joined a relatively small and unique community of humans in the world that can brew beer.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Quick Reply