*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just a thought on attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
lowlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default just a thought on attenuation

I see people say add sugar to drop final gravity. In cases where people have a beer that is too sweet does this really do anything? Isnt it just creating more alcohol (which is lighter than water) so the gravity drops? Arent the same unfermentable sugars in there (and therefore just as sweet) even though the gravity is lower (due to more alcohol)?
If I am way off I will blame it on too many wee-heavies tonight

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah , i agree, except I think you will remain at the same OG. I see it this way, it you added the sugar at flameout, you'd get a higer OG. But if you had unfermentables in there the added sugar wont affect FG. The addition of sugar will make the beer drier and appear lighter ( i think) but i dont see where it can magically make yeast want to eat away at unfermentables.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts

The added CORN SUGAR would indeed ferment out resulting in a drier brew.

Any sweetness due to the added sugar would have to be hop compensated to add more balance.

The sugar would make it a higher OG, but will also result in a lower FG.

Sometimes attenuation is off. For instance, I fermented a cider with Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. It's projected attenuation is 75%. My OG was 1.100. At the projected attenuation of 75% my FG should have been 1.025. Right? No way...my FG right now is 1.000.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 04-30-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
trn
Recipes 

See the recent thread in another forum. My rudimentary reading is that the extra sugar restarts fermentation and somehow gets the yeast to finish off some fermentables it didn't get to before... I'm willing to be wrong. I'm curious to know what the correct answer is. I understand commercial breweries use this technique - if so there must be something to it.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trn View Post
See the recent thread in another forum. My rudimentary reading is that the extra sugar restarts fermentation and somehow gets the yeast to finish off some fermentables it didn't get to before... I'm willing to be wrong. I'm curious to know what the correct answer is. I understand commercial breweries use this technique - if so there must be something to it.

Oh I think you're probably right about restarting fermentation and finishing off fermentables, but I dont think just adding more alcohol to a batch and keeping the unfermentables constant would lower a gravity reading. There's also more than one way to restart fermentation: rousing the yeast and trub, increasing the temp, adding beano, adding more yeast, etc. My commnet up top, was for a scenario where fermentation was really completely done.

Jesse

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
but I dont think just adding more alcohol to a batch and keeping the unfermentables constant would lower a gravity reading
It will. Alcohol is lighter than water (and malt), so the higher the ABV, the lower the gravity (with constant unfermentables). You can test this easily by adding an ounce of vodka to a pint of beer, checking the gravity before and after.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

My question is- adding more alcohol (from sugar) doesnt actually make a sweet beer seem less sweet or does it (after fermentation is done)

I was drinking some weeheavy last night wishing it was a tad drier.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
JesseRC
Recipes 

Yeah but somethings just not making sense to me, I mean your also changing the volume of the beer. I agree you'll get some change in gravity, but you'd also get a change in gravity by adding plain water. My only point is the true unfermentables are there to stay , unless you use beano or something right?

I think the addition of alcohol from sugar does make the beer drier and give a sweet/malty beer a diff taste, percieved or not.

Jesse

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Adding sugar may not change the amount of residual sugars present (although as a couple of posters suggest, maybe it will by restarting fermentation). But independent of that, it will reduce the malto-dextrine "feel" of the beer -- it'll feel less thick in body, because it is less thick, even though the residual sugars are the same. That thickness/body is part of what we experience as sweet in beers.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
ericm
Recipes 

I think very often when people reference adding sugar to 'dry out' a beer, they mean when brewing it again, replace some of the grain bill/extract with sugar; so that you end up with the same OG but the FG will be lower.

Quick Reply