Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just tasted my first home brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
AdamPag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Congrats! You've learned the most valuable lesson we all totally blow at least our 1st 2 or 3 brews. Its gonna taste awful until about 7 days, at 14 days its gonna taste great (wait... it gets better) by 18-21 days, you're not gonna believe you brewed what you're drinking. get at least 1 more fermenter (I just picked up to 3 this week) and build a nonstop pipeline so you're always excited, and drinking... your own beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPag View Post
Its gonna taste awful until about 7 days, at 14 days its gonna taste great (wait... it gets better) by 18-21 days, you're not gonna believe you brewed what you're drinking.
Sure sounds good, almost like modern day alchemy, and that truly would be a wonderful world to brew in, but: while a reasonably well crafted beer is going to improve some in those time frames a flawed beer won't. If fusels are elevated it will take MUCH longer, and there's no assurance that it will be completely resolved. Store it, give it lots of time, and you might be happily surprised!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Camride
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll definitely have to go the swamp cooler route, I'm just not sure where to put it... If I can rig it with a lid like I've seen some people do it'll work fine in the garage. My wife already wasn't excited about a 6 gallon bucket in the kitchen, I think she'd draw the line at a big cooler.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I would not recommend a Belgium Tripple for your second brew. I think you will find it more helpful to brew several moderate ABV beers first. This will give you time to refine your process before brewing a beer that will take six months to mature. Also if just starting out you may not have an unlimited supply of bottles, so you want to keep them in circulation until you build up your supply. Why do I make this recommendation? Guilty as charged.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcorona View Post
I would not recommend a Belgium Tripple for your second brew. I think you will find it more helpful to brew several moderate ABV beers first. This will give you time to refine your process before brewing a beer that will take six months to mature. Also if just starting out you may not have an unlimited supply of bottles, so you want to keep them in circulation until you build up your supply. Why do I make this recommendation? Guilty as charged.
My brother in law brews Belgium Trippel and that's not a short process beer. His start out at 1.080 OG and finish around 1.016...very strong and take a good 3 weeks to fully ferment and 3 weeks minimum bottle conditioning. They are 8.5% ABV though!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
My brother in law brews Belgium Trippel and that's not a short process beer. His start out at 1.080 OG and finish around 1.016...very strong and take a good 3 weeks to fully ferment and 3 weeks minimum bottle conditioning. They are 8.5% ABV though!
To obtain the optimum flavor you're looking at alot longer than that. Closer to the 6 month range as the previous poster mentioned. A session type beer would be tastier much much faster and it's still your beer.

Quick Reply