Just tasted my first beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBuddha

Reaction score
Its been fermenting for a month and I was going to bottle it today but realized I didnt have enough sanitizing stuff so I couldnt...

Anyways, I tasted it and it tastes fine but it seems kind of "weak" like watery or something. Could it be b/c its flat?

Also, the FG is 1.012 and the OG was 1.056. What would my ABV be?

ABV is 5.8%. You can't compare flat to carbed beer. If you think it tastes good now, wait until it's been in the bottles a month.

I calculate it being more like 5.8% ABV. Beer always tastes thin and watery before it is properly carbed and aged. Give it some time in the bottles and it will be great.

Thats a relief. I figured that was the case but just making sure. Ill be getting some sanitizing products tomorrow so I can bottle.

Oh, how did you come to that 5.8%?

I calculate it being more like 5.8% ABV. Beer always tastes thin and watery before it is properly carbed and aged. Give it some time in the bottles and it will be great.

lol yeah, I did the ABW instead of ABV. I was just reading it off of Promash. I went back and changed it probably at the same time you posted lol.

A little bleach + water + an equal amount (to the bleach) of vinegar = poor man's no rinse sanitizer :D

I haven't had a contaminated batch in all 15 years of brewing, nor have I had a "bleachy" brew either, but I always rinse like a crazy person as well :D

Congrats Calibuddha - Can't wait to try my won. Making an IPA (first batch ever!) thinking of calling it Beer'd IPA.

On deck either a Belgian ale or a Dos XX clone that I will call Brew'Migos!

A little bleach + water + an equal amount (to the bleach) of vinegar = poor man's no rinse sanitizer :D

I haven't had a contaminated batch in all 15 years of brewing, nor have I had a "bleachy" brew either, but I always rinse like a crazy person as well :D

That would work but I only have scented bleach

Bleach and vinegar mixed together will release poisonous gasses!:(

You can research this easily

Just use unsented clorine bleach diluted with water and rinse thoroughly.

Well, I carbed and bottled it all tonight! I was messing w/ sanitizing and bottling and all that for about 2.5 hours! It was worth it though! I had a Delirium bottle w/ no cork so I had to drink it and it tasted great minus the carbonation. But thats ok, I know it will be better in a couple weeks. Im proud of my first batch so far.

I actually did the bleach/ water then vinegar thing and it worked great. I dont have any other flavors in the bottles... Thanks for the help!

Hopefully there are no bottle bombs tonight!

Congrats Cali! Makes you feel like passing cigars out to friends eh? :D
If you think it tastes great now wait until you pour a glass in a few weeks!

Happy brewing my friend :D

Back