Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just started my second batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
kenmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just started my second batch

Thanks to several members on this forum my first batch came out fine despite having a leaky valve in my pressure keg. Anyway, last night I brewed up my second batch, an Irish Ale. It's bubbling away beside me here as I type, so all is going well. But just wondering now what (if any) are the chances of me launching the airlock into the ceiling? Is there a period of time when it's more likely to happen, or can it happen at any stage during the ferment? I'm heading away for a few days work, so the girlf is gonna have to mind this, would be good to be able to tell her what to expect...
Cheers
Ken

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmc
Thanks to several members on this forum my first batch came out fine despite having a leaky valve in my pressure keg. Anyway, last night I brewed up my second batch, an Irish Ale. It's bubbling away beside me here as I type, so all is going well. But just wondering now what (if any) are the chances of me launching the airlock into the ceiling? Is there a period of time when it's more likely to happen, or can it happen at any stage during the ferment? I'm heading away for a few days work, so the girlf is gonna have to mind this, would be good to be able to tell her what to expect...
Cheers
Ken

I wouldn't worry about it unless you used a starter. You may want to consider a blow-off tube instead of the airlock. Do you know how to do the blow-off tube?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I've seen a blow off setup somewhere on the web. Didn't use a starter, so hopefully it'll be grand. I know I'll be in trouble though if she has to decorate while I'm away

Old 04-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh another question - I took a hydrometer reading just before I put the lid on and it was 1035 - which means absolutely nothing to me! Is that high, low, average for a starting reading?
Also, I was thinking of leaving the hydrometer in there, so that I could take readings without having to worry about introducing infection - is this a bad or good idea - didn't do it this time, but will know for the future...
Cheers
Ken

Old 04-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Oh another question - I took a hydrometer reading just before I put the lid on and it was 1035 - which means absolutely nothing to me! Is that high, low, average for a starting reading?
Also, I was thinking of leaving the hydrometer in there, so that I could take readings without having to worry about introducing infection - is this a bad or good idea - didn't do it this time, but will know for the future...
Cheers
Ken
The hydro reading sounds a bit low--but as Janx says a hydrometer just worries new brewers more than necessary. It could possibly be you took a reading at NOT 60 degrees, and need to do a slight correction.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm betting the finished product will taste like beer.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah I'm not worried about it, just curious as to how it all works really!
Didn't get a measure on the temp, but it would have been a bit higher than 60 I reckon, but I couldn't tell you how much higher....
Just interested in working out the amount of alcohol in the batch so I can tell ppl when they ask!
Cheers
Ken

Old 04-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
George
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't leave the hydrometer in the fermenter. As soon as it begins fermenting, you won't be able to see it anyway. As fermentation slows, you'll have gunk all around the scale, and won't be able to read it.

On tap: Small-Dry Hopped w/cascade
Small -no dry hops
Red
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 04-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks George, I was thinking that would be most likely to happen anyway, didn't imagine that it could be bad as much as pointless.
Anyway, 2 days in it's bubbling away still - about once every 8-10 seconds. The "burps" seem to be a bit smaller now than a day ago though - there were some serious belches at the start - is this normal enough behaviour?
Cheers, and thanks for all the answers!

Old 04-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
George
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This sounds very normal. You seem to be on the right track.
g

On tap: Small-Dry Hopped w/cascade
Small -no dry hops
Red
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
OBX
Recipes 

Quote:
Cheers
Ken
1.035 sounds pretty low, but it isn't really important to fixate on the SG readings.

Here is a trick I read somewhere that allows you to take daily SG readings without taking new samples or opening the fermentor and it has served me well on two batches so far. Once you pitch the yeast and attach the lid, shake the bucket for 5 min or more to aerate the wort and then remove the top and with a sanitized glass measuring cup pull an 8oz sample. Close the fermentor and place the sample in a clean glass jar or bottle. This will be your sample and you can take a SG reading from it everyday. Just return the sample to the jar. It could become infected, but it won't change the readings and you're not going to drink it. My OG and FG using the sample was .001 off from the readings I got from the wort itself before and after fermentation.

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Last edited by OBX; 04-24-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply