Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just racked to secondary....why you ask?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
bmanbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just racked to secondary....why you ask?

To make my primary available to brew another batch this weekend! I can't wait to get my pipeline started. It is my first ever batch and is going good so far. It was in primary for 9 days, and hit my SG on target at 1.013 (1.052 OG), pretty stoked about that. I know most people don't go to secondary mostly due to another chance of infection. So I spent 2 flippin hours tonight cleaning, sanitizing, then siphoning and then cleaning and sanitizing again.

Everyone always says just leave and forget about it, let it sit. It's easy for those who have the pipeline moving and can just grab a homebrew at any time and relax. However the patience of a beginner is a short fuse. Already got my calender filled in for the next 6 weeks to brew and bottle!

Oh, one thing to not say to the wife....so during the hydrometer test phase she sampled some of the Irish Red from the tube and was surprised that it actually tasted like beer. So during dinner I said to her "you know this does taste like pot roast". No points for the newbie.

Thanks again to everyone for posting such helpful information about the brewing process.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Why transfer? Couldn't you have just used your other vessel for fermentation for the next batch?

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
bmanbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4_srt View Post
Why transfer? Couldn't you have just used your other vessel for fermentation for the next batch?
I stayed with the majority. Primary is a 6.5 gal and secondary is a 5 gal. I read that a 5 gal is not good for primary fermentation.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

5 is ok if you're not expecting a big fermentation

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanbrew View Post
I stayed with the majority. Primary is a 6.5 gal and secondary is a 5 gal. I read that a 5 gal is not good for primary fermentation.
Good call. Trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter for a primary can be done, but is usually a real PITA. I've had my worst blowoffs from a 5 gallon BB. I could imagine doing a less active fermentation like a lager in a 5 gallon carboy, but I'd still try to leave plenty of headspace.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if you're using dry yeast, or liquid yeast less than 1.060, you don't need a starter, so the 5g fermenter is ok. liquid yeast and bigger than 1.060, yes, then do it in the 6.5, as the starter will make it ferment insanely

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
if you're using dry yeast, or liquid yeast less than 1.060, you don't need a starter, so the 5g fermenter is ok. liquid yeast and bigger than 1.060, yes, then do it in the 6.5, as the starter will make it ferment insanely
My last beer was 1.054, had to put it in my 5 ballon BB for various reasons. I got tons of blowoff even though I used FermCap and dry yeast. I bought a second 6.5g bucket so I don't have to deal with it again
Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

For less than $20 you could have another fermenter and have 2 beers going at the same time without moving anything to secondary. I've found that leaving mine in the fermenter longer gets me good beer sooner. The beer seems to smooth out being on that big yeast cake.

Do you or your wife like cider? That's what you use that 5 gallon carboy for.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
bmanbrew
Recipes 

I will be looking into another fermenter soon. It seems like more people just do primary and go w/o secondary. Since it's my first batch I'll get through a couple more before I step it up a notch. The basics are overwhelming enough.

Quick Reply