Just popped my homebrew cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
Its been 5 weeks, 6 days and 2 hours since I brewed my first batch of beer. I couldn't wait 22 more hours.

This morning I put my first brew in the fridge just popped the top.

Without a doubt - this one of the finest beers I have ever tasted! I'm not just saying that because I brewed it, I really believe this is true!

Very smooth and very simple American Pale Ale. Made from american 2 row, Vienna malt, crystal 60, cascade and amarillo.

Wow.. Can't wait for my 5 other batches to carb up!

IMG_0039.jpg

Maybe i read that wrong but did you really brew 6 batches of beer in the first 5 weeks of the hobby? If so, bravo sir. That is impressive. Enjoy the fruits of your labor(s).

Maybe i read that wrong but did you really brew 6 batches of beer in the first 5 weeks of the hobby? If so, bravo sir. That is impressive. Enjoy the fruits of your labor(s).

You read correctly.

It has been in the planning for nearly 6 months now.

Started reading everything on home brewing that I could get my hands on beginning in October - Books, forums, magazines, Youtube, current experienced brewers, etc.

In December I decided to skip the extract and start with all grain. Spent the month of December ordering equipment, building, and reading more.

Mid January I brewed my first batch - the American Pale Ale that I just finished.

Over the next six weeks I brewed 5 more batches and bottled a total of 3 batches. Have 3 - 6 gallon buckets that are full with one batch being bottled tomorrow. Also plan to brew 7th batch Sunday.

The picture below was taken a week or 2 ago. Currently have one more fermenter going. Higher of two buckets is supported by another 2 cases of beer.

My goal is to keep 14 cases in rotation. Will reach this goal by Sunday.

img_0014-58546.jpg

Wow. I thought I was off to a quick start(1 extract, 2 AG batches + 2 cider batches since new years), but you... Wow, just wow.

Thanks everyone!

I wish I could pass a brew to every member on this forum who I gathered information from. Then again, I wouldn't have any beer to drink if I did so. :)

Hope to return the favor by contributing knowledge in the future to this board.

Wow. I thought I was off to a quick start(1 extract, 2 AG batches + 2 cider batches since new years), but you... Wow, just wow.

That's still a good start. 5 batches is only one less than the number I have done.

I was proud of myself to brew my second batch in my second week, you Sir, are an animal!
Congratulations!:mug:

Houseoffubar said:
I was proud of myself to brew my second batch in my second week, you Sir, are an animal!
Congratulations!:mug:

Agreed. I thought I was "die hard" because I racked to secondary to make room for the second batch. Now, six weeks later, I've still brewed exactly twice (not counting the horrible attempts 20 years ago while in college).

The main reason why I was so aggressive with my first few batches was because I noticed a common trend while talking with folks.

From what I gathered, a lot of people have "tried" to brew their own beer and gave up after their first batch because their batch either didn't turn out as expected and or it was "a lot of squeeze for such little juice".

With a bit of money invested in the initial setup, I didn't want to be one to give up so quickly.

The only way that I could see to avoid these two issues was to:

a. Build a pipeline fast so that I would not run out then lose interest while waiting on the next batch to finish.
b. Have a few back up batches in case I make a horrible batch.

So, with lots of beer on hand, I plan to brew a batch when I am down 2 case. With an anticipated 6 week lag time this is necessary. With 14 cases on hand, this allows me to consume roughly 2 cases per week without having a dry spell.

Between my wife and I, we may drink 1 case every couple weeks so I don't have to fear running out *hands involuntarily tremor*

Theory sounds good but with beer tasting this good, I might find myself brewing and bottling every week. :mug:

Back